cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Susanherna
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Virus update every day-makes puter slow to snail speed

Lately, Security Center has been installing updates EVERY DAY! They install correctly, but it makes Internet Explorer slow doen to a snail's pace. When it is installing, it takes 5 minutes for a web page to load! It also slows down like this when doing a scan. Any idea about how I can resolve this.

I have XP-Service Pack 3.
3 Replies
user66
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: Virus update every day-makes puter slow to snail speed

I'm glad someone else mentioned this! I asked Macafee Support about it and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I can understand why scanning the whole computer takes up a lot of resources and slows things down, but why should it take so long to 'update' the virus data? I think what happens is that Macafee makes your computer reinstall the entire thing every time they update - instead of just adding the new virus data. That would explain why it takes so long and slows down the computer for a few minutes.
Anyone else got any ideas about this, and why Macafee can't figure out a way to do their almost daily updates a bit more efficiently?
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I cannot explain why your computer slows down as much as it does - I do not see the same happening on my PC. (I'm running Windows XP on an Core 2 Duo 6320 @ 2GHz with 2 GB of memory).

There's an update for VS every day, except weekends. If it actually does an installation (this rarely happens), you will be asked to reboot the PC.

A complete "virus definition" download is about 95 MB, I believe. I can only assume therefor that updates are incremental.
user66
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

It must be doing a complete download instead of an incremental one on my computer. Mine is also 2GHz but only 504 MB of RAM.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community