Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chesini
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Very slow PC startup

Very slow PC startup.
After booting, my Windows XP PC is very slow, and this for 5 and more minutes. I am running McAfee Security Center 9.0.286. With Procmon, I see a lot of activity on the file Datastore.edb which is related to Windows Update.
Microsoft recommends excluding this file from the virusscan, because locking slows down everything. However, with this version 9.0, I cannot find any option to exclude Datastore.edb from the scan.
Is there any solution or workaround for this ?
Regards
Chesini.
Tags (1)
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Very slow PC startup

Sec. Center 9 shouldn't be causing any slowdowns at startup unless something is present that it doesn't like.

Perhaps you have too many applications set to start with Windows?

As it's the weekend you may wish to try Technical Support linked at top left of page or in my signature. They may have some suggestions.

Something like Startup Delayer might help you: http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay
chesini
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Recommendations by Microsoft

Article ID : 822158
Last Review : October 30, 2006
Revision : 9.5

For computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista.

Do not scan the following files and folders. These files are not at risk of infection. If you scan these files, serious performance problems may occur because of file locking. Where a specific set of files is identified by name, exclude only those files instead of the whole folder. Sometimes, the whole folder must be excluded. Do not exclude any one of these based on the file name extension. For example, do not exclude all files that have a .dit extension. Microsoft has no control over other files that may use the same extensions as the following files.• Microsoft Windows Update or Automatic Update related files• The Windows Update or Automatic Update database file. This file is located in the following folder:
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore
Exclude the Datastore.edb file.
• The transaction log files. These files are located in the following folder:
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs
Exclude the following files:• Edb*.log

Note The wildcard character indicates that there may be several files.
• Res1.log
• Res2.log
• Edb.chk
• Tmp.edb

Regards,
Chesini.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

RE: Recommendations by Microsoft

Well, as I said, it's impossible to get the home products to skip certain files and folders and not others. You may wish to try Technical Support as I suggested.

What operating system and service pack is this?
chesini
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

OS specifications

OS specifications are Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP3.
Meanwhile, I doubled the physical RAM from 512 to 1024 MB. This makes a significant performance increase at startup and when performing McAfee Update command. Response times are back to normal, the case can be closed, however, it would be nice if also McAfee home products would provide the exclude function.
Regards,
Chesini.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

RE: OS specifications

I agree. It used to be the case about 3 versions back and still exists in the Corporate product. We've asked for it to be reinstated many times and have been ignored.
Good idea increasing the RAM, it is probably the easiest way to improve performance.

Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community