cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hmassey
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Updates during activity?

Am I correct that Security Center looks for updates only when there is activity on the computer? It seems to me that updates begin coming in -- making my hard disk crank and slowing my computer down to the point where it is almost unusable -- about 20 minutes AFTER I start work in the morning, not during idle down times in the middle of the night, which would be far more efficient. I estimate I lose a good 5 - 10 minutes of working time on my computer every day because of this, which is tremendously frustrating.

Is there some way I can configure Security Center to search for updates only when the computer is idle? (i.e. no mouse or keyboard activity) My Internet connection is cable, so it's up and running 24/7. I'm not talking about system scans, which I know I can schedule -- I'm talking about searching for and downloading DAT updates.

Thanks!
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Updates during activity?

It does seem sometimes that VirusScan purposely waits until you are busy before deciding to update and can be very annoying I agree.

Configure it either to notify you first that updates are available or turn updates off and do them manually, however the latter will cause warnings to appear eventually.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Security Center (top left)
Click Advanced (right)
Click Update Options (left)

Over at the right are the various choices. Click Apply and OK and it's done.
hmassey
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, Peter. Neither is a perfect solution, but I guess I'll have to deal.

BTW, the link to your Home Products Removal Tool (MCPR) appears not to be working -- clicking on it yields an "article not found" error message.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Well good luck. I just checked my link and it worked for me. Busy servers perhaps.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community