cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 161 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

1 what is disabled ie the message you get

2. read back 3 pages and see how to get the event log and post what it says re timeout?

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 162 of 230

Automatic update just now... system hung for about a minute. No notice of your computer not protected however Mcsheild is not running.

Same message...

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 9656 (0x25b8)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\config.dat
by c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

Had to reboot to start it.

Message was edited by: GojuKid1 on 1/28/10 12:46:25 AM CST
JenniferS
Former Member
Message 163 of 230

I would like to have this investigated. I am getting the "Your computer is not protected" message every few hours (I can fix it, but it pops up again). Chat support isn't working (the chat never starts, although it indicates that it has launched successfully). I am extremely frustrated.

The MVT errors are below.

Product Name:VirusScan - McAfee VirusScan Plus
Product Version:13.15.113
Language:en-us
Partner:McAfee
Account ID:1417905
Health Check Details
RegistryOK
FileOK
Process1 process(s) incorrect
Expected process not running
Expected : running
Existing : not running
Process: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\McShield.exe
Service1 service(s) incorrect
Expected Service State Incorrect
Expected : running
Existing : stopped
Service: McShield C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
COMOK
DAT and EngineOK
Top IssuesOK
SYSTEMOK

Jennifer

Peacekeeper
Message 164 of 230

So the message in the Not protected screen says what : Real time scanning disabled maybe?

Check the event viewer logs and see what is timing out on what.

The Windows "Event Log" is indeed the location you need.  Windows Vista and XP should have similar access.  No ideas for Windows 7, although it also should be similar.

For Windows XP, the sequence to access is:

1.  Right-click on "My Computer" (or, "Start ---> Administrative Tools", if in your "Start Menu")

2.  Click "Manage"

3.  Expand "Event Viewer" (click on the "+")

4.  The log entries needed are in two (2) locations:  "Application" and "System"

5.  The entries under "Application" will have a source of "McLogEvent", and should be proximate to and "Error" entries.

6.  The "System" log entries are created by the Windows Services management.  Locate entries with a source of "eventlog" (these are created at Windows shutdown and boot-up.  The failing service entries should follow (actually, precede, since the order is recent to first ).

7.  To view any entry in either of these logs, right-click on the entry and click "Properties

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/01/10 6:29:20 AM
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 165 of 230

Another auto update... McShield is not running...

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 1672 (0x688)
Thread message :

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\config.dat
by c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

MVT Report attached.

Will have to reboot (what a pain) to get things started again.

JenniferS
Former Member
Message 166 of 230

Mine are similar:

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2712 (0xa98)

Thread message :

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\Jen\Desktop\garmin_rmu_cnnant2010_40.exe

by C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

4(0)(0)

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 5024 (0x13a0)

Thread message :

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\Jen\Desktop\garmin_rmu_cnnant2010_40.exe

4(0)(0)

4(0)(0)

7200(0)(0)

7595(0)(0)

7005(0)(0)

7004(0)(0)

5006(0)(0)

5004(0)(0)

The System entries didn't seem very useful. There were only two lines from eventlog, one after the other. An error followed about a minute later:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 service to connect.

I don't think it says that real-time scanning is disabled. I'll go ahead and post this, then post the exact text of the error message the next time it pops up.

Jennifer

Message was edited by: JenniferS on 1/29/10 9:51:06 PM CST
BigJ
Former Member
Message 167 of 230

JenniferS wrote:

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2712 (0xa98)

Mine are similar:

Thread message :

4(0)(0)

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 5024 (0x13a0)

Thread message :

4(0)(0)

4(0)(0)

7200(0)(0)

7595(0)(0)

7005(0)(0)

7004(0)(0)

5006(0)(0)

5004(0)(0)

The System entries didn't seem very useful. There were only two lines from eventlog, one after the other. An error followed about a minute later:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 service to connect.

I don't think it says that real-time scanning is disabled. I'll go ahead and post this, then post the exact text of the error message the next time it pops up.

Jennifer

Message was edited by: JenniferS on 1/29/10 9:51:06 PM CST

Jennifer it shows object being scanned that timed out is on your desktop. Garmin CNNANT 2010.4 update which is 2.06 gb. I had same problem with mine stopping on 2010.4 update exe so I downloaded the 2010.4 update exe on to a dvd r disk then deleted the file on my computer and also deleted it from the Recycle Bin and my problem went away with not being protected. There must be something in that file that stops McAfee from scanning then disabling it. So if you do not need that file anymore delete it or copy it to a dvd r or rw then delete it off of your computer. Found out my problem before the 2010.4 update was 2010.3 update file which I had left on my computer until the 2010.4 download. Now I don;t get anything disabled anymore.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 1/29/10 11:06:39 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 168 of 230

Bigj is on the track here the event log points to what the scanner is having issues with. In your case a large maybe zipped exe file. The scanner has problems opening some of these and also slows down scanning zip files. This was discussed with the beta development manager in our mod call last Monday and he is looking at improving scanning times for zip files.

Bigj's suggestion of installing the program then remove any copy from the drives is valid. This goes for other files found though I notice for some the scanner baulks at the scanner engine config.dat file so this may imply a uninstall/reinstall required.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/01/10 6:58:51 PM
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 169 of 230

Getting the "Not Protected" warning. It's happening at Startup and sometimes randomly. Got the following out of the System Logs in Event Viewer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the McAfee SystemGuards service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7000
Date:        1/30/2010
Time:        9:30:31 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:   XXXXXX
Description:
The McAfee SystemGuards service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, clicking on the link took me to a Page Not Found error.

That's about all I can find.  I have to say this is getting really annoying again.  I purchaed Total Protection 2010 and my subscription runs out this coming Thursday.  I guess I can wait until then, install 2010 and hope the problem resolves.  If not, I found a competitor's product on sale and will have to install that and say goodbye to McAfee. 

BigJ
Former Member
Message 170 of 230

Peacekeeper wrote:

Bigj is on the track here the event log points to what the scanner is having issues with. In your case a large maybe zipped exe file. The scanner has problems opening some of these and also slows down scanning zip files. This was discussed with the beta development manager in our mod call last Monday and he is looking at improving scanning times for zip files.

Bigj's suggestion of installing the program then remove any copy from the drives is valid. This goes for other files found though I notice for some the scanner baulks at the scanner engine config.dat file so this may imply a uninstall/reinstall required.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/01/10 6:58:51 PM

Tony you are right this file is 2.06gb and is a zip file. Takes around 15 to 20 minutes to extract the files in it each time we update our maps in different units.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 1/30/10 9:30:30 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community