Former Member
Message 101 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Just a quick update.

The errors started on 2nd November and are as follows:

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
   9680 (0x25d0)
   0x77BF5E74
   Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018 Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll by C:\Windows\system32\services.exe 4(0)(0) 4(0)(0) 7200(0)(0) 7595(0)(0) 7005(0)(0) 7004(0)(0) 5006(0)(0) 5004(0)(0)

and I have had 290 errors since then!!!

Since, I uninstalled Adobe Download and run OneCare from Mircosoft then I have had none in the last 24 hours!

Fingers crossed!

Peacekeeper
Message 102 of 230

Anyone doing this ie checking what file is locked up on via the event viewer log can you uninstall the program first and see if that helps  before doing more. I see not all posted so far have the adobe helper file causing the issue.

donaldb
Former Member
Message 103 of 230

I'm actually getting it on Win 7 Professional 64-bit.  Obviously this is a pretty new installation of Win 7, and a complete reinstall of my McAfee programs.  Took a while for me to see the pattern, that it was only happening while I was running the Sims 3.  Every time I exited the game, the protection was turned off.  I just got around to coming here today to see if it was a known issue. I haven't run through the list of posible resolutions in post #1 of this thread, but I'll give them a go and see if any off them help.

In the meantime, is there any way to just tell mcshield to not scan that program?

Event Log details below:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        McLogEvent
Date:          01/01/2010 5:50:08 AM
Event ID:      5051
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Don-PC
Description:
A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 1596 (0x63c)
Thread address : 0x000000001233937A
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin\TS3EP01.exe
by C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

Peacekeeper
Message 104 of 230

Ok what I was worried about it is not the program shown in the error log. ie adobe being removed then reinstalled will help till whatever is corrupting the file and thus causing Mcafee to have a fit is removed.

In your case copy that file from another PC or reinstall. Some games allow saves to be saved.

We need to find what program is on your PCs that I haven't. Not just me but 95%( my guess) mcafee users do not get this issue so there is something opening files and not closing them correctly. That my feel on the issue.

Peacekeeper
Message 105 of 230

SeanMc98 posted

The Windows "Event Log" is indeed the location you need.  Windows Vista and XP should have similar access.  No ideas for Windows 7, although it also should be similar.

For Windows XP, the sequence to access is:

1.  Right-click on "My Computer" (or, "Start ---> Administrative Tools", if in your "Start Menu")

2.  Click "Manage"

3.  Expand "Event Viewer" (click on the "+")

4.  The log entries needed are in two (2) locations:  "Application" and "System"

5.  The entries under "Application" will have a source of "McLogEvent", and should be proximate to and "Error" entries.

6.  The "System" log entries are created by the Windows Services management.  Locate entries with a source of "eventlog" (these are created at Windows shutdown and boot-up.  The failing service entries should follow (actually, precede, since the order is recent to first ).

7.  To view any entry in either of these logs, right-click on the entry and click "Properties".

Ok time to dig more if all who have this issue can help

1# run event viewer and post logs that show what file the scan baulked on.

2# post

a if you had a previous virusscanner this includes adware registered and any registered version of free spyware scanners as these can run real time features that clash. What I need is what was on the pC and how you uninstalled it.

3# post any add ons you have installed in your browser this includes toolbars and serach engines. You fing these in Tools manage addons in IE8 where in Other browsers you will need to dig.

I am trying to correlate what is common in your installs that is not in mine.

We are going to beat this thing that is my New Year resolution

Sorry I have to ask you for this but this has gone on long enough

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 106 of 230

My conflict is definitely with Malwarebytes v1.43 (registered & paid for). It stops McShield from loading. If I do not load Malawarebytes on boot (Windows XP SP2), McShield load with no problems. I must also close/disable Malwarebytes when a McAfee update is available and then restart it. These 2 programs have worked together for years without a problem, it only started mid December I have not installed any new programs on this computer. They also work together (same versions) on hubby's computer without any problems.

I have a work-around, but it would be so much easier if both programs load on windows boot... just in case I forget.

Peacekeeper
Message 107 of 230

Same Malwarebytes version ie 1.43 and registered on other PC? Have you had it registered the whole time. Is it loading also on boot?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/01/10 7:44:05 AM
cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 108 of 230

Since uninstalling Adobe Download Manager and running OneCare then I have had my first problem free weekend with no more 'not protected' errors.

If it is so easy to disable McAfee by accident then doesn't this represent a significant security issue that means it could be exploited on purpose to disable McAfee?

If so then why aren't McAfee doing anything about it?

Tony - You are doing an excellent job - I like crusaders!!  But why aren't McAfee sitting up and working on the problem as to why their software seems to be easily broken?

For the record:

1. Posted previously

2. ditto

3. No previous antivirus or adware software but installed various things once the problem started.  That slowed me up with tech support as they made me uninstall it to no avail.  I even tried to make bets with them that it wouldn't work but I don't think gambling is allowed in the Indian call centre.

4. IE: Google Side Bar, Groove Folder Synch, Research, Discuss.  Firefox: Alexa Sparky, ColoZilla, Cooliris, Firebug, Google Gears, Google Toolbar, McAfee site advisor, ScribeFire, Web Developer

Chris

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 109 of 230

It has been nearly a week and NO "not protected" errors out of McAfee. Whoo-whoo!

In other words, my Windows Vista system has not had the McAfee real-time service stall for 90000ms and subsequently be terminated by Windows (yet).

An interesting side note, my Windows XP system has never had this "not protected" problem. That system has had Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 and does not have the Adobe Download Manager on it. As an experiment I am upgrading to Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 on that Windows XP system. I'll report back if it starts having problems. This assumes the problem is due to some kind of incompatibility with real-time scanning and Adobe's download manager program.

If my Windows XP system behaves well, I'll re-install Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.2 on the Windows Vista system to see if the "not protected" problem reappears.

saty
Former Member
Message 110 of 230

a) the only thing I did was to run the one care registry cleaner

b) how do i know if I have the adobe updater ????

c) I ran maleware 1.43 manually last night, I do not seem to have any issues with it and mcAfee

Message was edited by: saty on 1/4/10 8:32:36 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community