cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 71 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

McAfee free scan added to the list of clean scans!

Stinger still running but will report back.

Which logs should I look at as I cannot find reference to any errors as per geoperkins!?

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 72 of 230

McAfee Stinger is also clean.

I am increasingly suspicious that this is a software conflict...maybe with an Adobe product as mentioned above.

I am disappointed that geoperkins problem has come back despite the 'scrubbing' of the user profiles etc.

Come on McAfee sort this out!!

Peacekeeper
Message 73 of 230

Have you the folder geoperkins  posted I do not as far as I can see.

I think the log he posted is in the event viewer best  that geoperkins shows you exactly how. My Win 7 event log is slightly different

saty
Former Member
Message 74 of 230

I've been away from his thread for awhile (that pesky Christmas thing .....)

I haven't gone thru everything, but I see some notes about "registry cleaners"

For what it is worth, about three weeks ago, in desperation I went to Microsoft, and used their scrubber on the Registry. It reported many things, and I let it do its thing. I was desperate.

Immediately afterwards, the number of Not Protecteds dropped dramatically, but did not go away completely.

About a week aftewards, they stopped compleletly.

I hvae not had ANY Not Protecteds for 2-3 weeks.

I cannot really point to anything else

I would throw the computer in a landfill before I contacted Tech Support, oh the pain ...............

Message was edited by: saty on 12/28/09 2:39:52 PM CST
cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 75 of 230

Any chance of some pointers to the Microsoft 'scrubber'?

Couldn't obviously see it searching the Microsoft site.

saty
Former Member
Message 76 of 230

I started at www.microsoft.com

then Security checkup, or somethin, and that took me to:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

I believe it was the "Cleanup" link

Message was edited by: saty on 12/28/09 6:19:32 PM CST
geoperkins
Former Member
Message 77 of 230

Hmmm.  Yes the pattern on my system is that McAfee always stalls while real-time scanner is (apparently) stuck whilest "Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll by C:\Windows\system32\services.exe" (according to the message contained in the application log). Thanks for the tip in this thread, I uninstalled the Adobe Download Manager (which uses the NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll). This will have a consequence of requiring I manually download my updates to Adobe Acrobat Reader. I don't know yet if Adobe will automatically re-install this component...

I also went to Microsoft's OneCare site and did the free "CleanUp" scan. No viruses or other malware detected. OneCare did complain about 317 unnecessary registry entries (these apparently not removed by McAfee's own QuickClean utility, which I have used previously, nor removed by the McAfee paid service). I took the recommended action and am rid of the registry deadwood.

Now the question is, will the above two steps eliminate McAfee's real time scanner service from stalling out for 90000ms and being terminated by Windows?  I shall monitor this and report back to this thread what I learn.

Meanwhile, it would be interesting to know McAfee can explain why the real time service is (apparently) incompatible with the Adobe download manager program NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll ????

Peacekeeper
Message 78 of 230

I repeat can any of the other users that have this issue confirm

1 they have the file mentioned above and

2. The event log says the scanner locks on the same file

This is urgent as we are having a call tomorrow and I would like to enlarge on what we have found so far.

geoperkins can you show the others how you got the log please. My Win 7 event log is slightly different

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/12/09 8:53:42 PM
cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 79 of 230

I am just stupid or am I looking in the wrong place for the logs?

I am looking in SC - View Recent Events - View Log

But most of my logs report "No Log Exists"

Which log should I be looking in?  ScriptStopper log?

Peacekeeper
Message 80 of 230

It is I think the windows event viewer That is why I reasked geoperkins .

Right click on My computer or computer on desktop and choose manage and event viewer and check the logs there. I am not an expert in event viewer so I will await a post explaining where the error is detailed.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/12/09 9:01:37 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community