cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peaker
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Uninstall before Install new version?

I have been using McAfee security products for about three years. The first package came with my new Dell computer. After that, I renewed each year. I don't recall uninstalling before reinstalling the new version/subscription. I thought when you automatically renewed, McAfee would remotely download the new version. This year I was advised by both customer service and the technial support to delete the current version before installing the new subscription.

Is this correct? Thanks!
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Uninstall before Install new version?

The newest version is supposed to have it's own uninstaller, which cleans up previous versions, but it's considered wise to cleanup, use the MCPR tool and then reinstall if you are going from one year's version to the next, or if anything is different as far as which applications you are installing or if you are switching from a 3rd party version, such as Dell, to the McAfee direct version.
peaker
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thank you

Thanks, I will try this!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

RE: Thank you

Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community