cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larryn703
Former Member
Message 11 of 15

Re: Unable to Ping My Machine Through Router

I am now getting a message saying that McAfee is unable to display a map of the PCs and other devices on the network when I attempt to go Manage Network on the machine I used the cleanup tool with.  This is intermitten, but when the network map does come up I only see the machine, router, and internet.  The two other machines display the network map, and they have two entries for the machine I ran the cleanup on, both gray, one with the McAfee "M" on the monitor.

The two wired machines can still ping the wireless laptop.  Neither of the three machines can connect/share however.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 12 of 15

I made some progress last night.  I realized after my last post that the duplicate computers displaying on the network map was due to the dynamic IP address being changed.  From there, I went ahead and trusted those single IPs of each machine on all three machines.  I did see a lot of incoming requests that were being denied on the error logs.  From there I went ahead and followed the "setup a home or small office network link" and now I have all three machines displaying on the workgroup.  The Windows 7 laptop and one of the XP wired desktops are able to share now.  Unfortunately I am not able to connect the third machine, where I want to share my printer, as I get the computer is not accessible error message.  I still cannot ping the machine either.  I have gone back to trying to manage the machine on the manage network screen,  but when I try to make the request I do not receive any prompts on either of the machine.  It's like I never even make a request.  Should I try to reinstall/cleanup McAfee on the machine I am still having problems with (again)?

Thanks again!

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 13 of 15

FWIW ....

Not being able to "ping" from the event logs, I started a "command prompt" (Start ---> Run ---> cmd), and issued a "ping" command to both an IP-address and the URL ("www.yahoo.com" and others).

This was done through a Linksys router, connected via cable modem.  All nodes were tracked, although the "ping" command is a line-mode function, so no maps produced.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 14 of 15

On the Manage Network screen on the two machines that are unable to connect to the wired XP, the machine that they cannot connect to does not have a green check mark.

This is the same machine is the one that I connected to the network first and at the top of the Manage Network screen it does say <computer name's> Network.  For the computers that are unable to connect, it does give an "Unknown" status under Last scan,  Last update, and Subscription Expiry, but it does list under Permissions that "this computer can manage other computers on this managed network."   It does have a Red M on the monitor screen.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 15 of 15

Turns out the issue was with a VPN program I had on my machine.  Even though I didn't launch the program it's firewall was active.  Thanks for all the help!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community