cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larryn703
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Unable to Ping My Machine Through Router

I've been fighting the last few days with my new router and McAfee.  I added a new Linksys 160N router (replacing an old router which I bricked) to my network which has two XP machines on it as well as a Laptop running Windows 7.  All three computers have McAfee (all recently installed) on it.  My router can ping the wireless Windows 7 machine but is unable to ping the two XP machines.  I tried disabling McAfee's firewall (windows firewall was already disabled) but the same results.  I can't find anything in the logs that even shows I am trying to access the machine.  All the machines do have internet access but I am trying to set up some network file and print sharing between the three.

Anyway, figured I would try here and see if anyone had any ideas.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

14 Replies
MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unable to Ping My Machine Through Router

Hi larryn703,

Follow the steps below.. By doing the steps below we will be doing a basic clean up of the network and set things to default. I hope this works.

1. Download and save the Network Cleanup Tool (mcnetcln.exe) to the desktop of each computer using the following link:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcnetcln.exe

2. Disconnect the computers from each other by powering off (or unplugging the power cord from) your network router or switch.
  3. Run the Network Cleanup Tool on each computer on your network that was previously managed by McAfee.

Note: This tool cleans up incorrect, cached network information on each computer.

4. Power on (or plug in) your network router.
  5. Restart the computer that you want to designate as the administrator of your network.

6. On the administrator computer, open the McAfee SecurityCenter and then click Manage Network.

Note: This computer automatically becomes the administrator on the managed network.

7. If prompted, choose to Trust the Network.
  8. Restart the other computers on your network, and if prompted, select Trust the Network.
  9. On the administrator computer, invite the other computers to join the managed network.

Thanks

Regards

MJ

kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

Larryn,

I don't know whetheryour issue is resoved or not. Beloe are some of my suggestions.

Right now the problem is with only 2 XP computers. Am I right?

Could you please get the IP address of router and add it on Firewall -> Networks - in McAfee SecurityCenter on two xp machines.

Open SecurityCenter -> Internet and Network -> Configure on right pane -> Advanced button under 'Firewall protection is enabled"

Click on "Networks" on left pane -> Single IP-> Type IP and click on Ok.

Please do the same step on both Xp machines.

Please get back to me with status.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help.  I didn't have any success with either of your suggestions.  I am still unable to ping my XP machines from the router.  Is it possible that the Linksys router itself is blocking the request?  The only machine I can ping is the wireless laptop.  Maybe "access" to that machine is more open.  Just thinking out loud.  Thanks,

Larry

user_102835
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

On your internet and network configuration, firewall protection is enabled, advanced, networks.  Do you have the range of ip addresses to cover your machines?  Should be something like 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255.  These should be the trusted for a home network.  McAfee usually fills this in when you set up a network.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 6 of 15

Yep.  Those IP Address ranges were already added as a Trusted type.  The router is in that range and I tried adding that as a single IP in the list (as was suggested above) but still am unable to connect.

user_102835
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

I had a bit of trouble when I added my router.  The set up disk would not work.  I finally called Linksys cutomer support and spent over an hour going through the setting with the tech to get it to work.  I had to reset the router and give it a different set of IP's to work off of.  Evidently there was a conflict with the dsl modem.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

It's just weird because I can access the internet fine.  Pinging the wireless also works.  I'd assume if I drop the firewall the router would be the culprit.  I'd love to find a log, somewhere, that at least shows me making a request, or better yet, why the request was denied.  I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase Network Magic, which was packaged with the router.  I just want my machines to be able to share folders as well as a printer connected to one of the wired desktops.

user_102835
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

I had no problem sharing printers or files.  Did you right click the printer in control panel and choose sharing?  Same with the files you want to share.  I believe I had to not only click share for the shared documents folder but also the folders inside it.  The first time I accessed the printer from another computer I had to go through a wizard that loaded the necessary drivers from the sharing computer.

larryn703
Former Member
Message 10 of 15

Setting the folders and printer up for sharing seemed to go perfectly.  I can't find anything on the network with the laptop.  When I used Network Magic (7 day trial that came with the router) to try to connect to the printer it thought I had a firewall problem on the XP machine the printer is connected to.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community