Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halton
Contributor III
Message 1 of 13

Two issues

Jump to solution

Issue 1. I had trouble with my Dell printer I contacted Dell and by remote they went straight to my mcAffee Fire wall and started adjusting several settings. They went so fast I don't quite know which ones they were I do know it had something to do with Java. I am concerned because it was the firewall after all.

Issue 2.The second issue I don't know if the two issues are related is I had an error message that read "McAffee Security Center Instrumentation stopped working .

Thank you.

Jerry

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
halton
Contributor III
Message 12 of 13

Re: Two issues

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response yes you read the post correctly. I was concerned about what they did to the Firewall. After reading your respone I feel comfortable.

I would like to try and do what you and your colleagues are doing. How do I start.

once again thank you.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi Jerry,

Until some of our more knowledgeable forum members and Moderators can review your post, may I ask if you have run the McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) tool yet to see if it finds and corrects any problems?  Please post back with any results.  The MVT can be accessed by clicking on the <Useful Links> button at the top of the page here, then click on Technical Support on the drop-down menu presented.

Regards,

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 10/17/12 5:32:36 AM EDT
halton
Contributor III
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

I just ran the McAffee virtual Technition and the results were that there were no problems. I should have included the following information. My operating system is Windows Vista HomePremium and a 32 bit processor and my browser being IE9.

Jerry

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for posting back Jerry.

While we're waiting for input from some others here, I'd like to clarify how things stand at the moment with regard to the two issues you presented:

Issue # 1:  Is your printer working o.k. now?

Issue # 2: Are you still receiving that message about the McAfee Security Center Instrumentation not functioning?

Also, could you please include what version & update of JAVA you presently have, and is it enalbed?

Best regards,

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 10/17/12 11:11:36 AM EDT
halton
Contributor III
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Issue 1.  The printer is working fine.

Issue 2.  I haven't received message about the McAffee Security Center Instrumentation not functioning.

ava Version 7 Update 7 (built 1.7.0_07-b11).

How do you tell if it is enabled?

Jerry

Message was edited by: halton on 10/17/12 10:43:49 AM CDT

Message was edited by: halton on 10/17/12 10:44:25 AM CDT
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi Jerry and thanks for posting back the info!

The following information was copied from Oracle's website & should help you determine if your Java is enabled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To see whether your browser is configured to use Java or not, first open Windows Control Panel. From the Start menu button, select Settings, then Control Panel to open the Java Control Panel, click on the Java Coffee Cup logo icon in the Control Panel.

For Java version 6.0 and above:

1. Double-click the icon to open Java Control Panel.
  2. In Java Control Panel, click the Advanced tab.
  3. Click on + icon next to Default Java for browsers.
  4. Make sure the box next to Internet Explorer or Mozilla is checked.
  5. If it is not checked, click the checkbox to enable Java for your Web browser.
  6. Click Apply.

Note: If you do not see the coffee cup icon in the Windows Control Panel, you do not have Java installed on your computer.

halton
Contributor III
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

As per your instructions I found that it was installed.

Jerry

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting back with the info, Jerry.

At this point, I would give it another 24 hours to see if some of our other members and Moderators drop by and offer additional input regarding the issues you mentioned.  If you begin experiencing any other unusual events or a recurrence of the two problems you originally posted about, then post back again.  I don't know of anything more I can do since it appears that your system is functioning o.k at the moment.

Have a good one!

halton
Contributor III
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Thank you for all your help and patience. Keep up the good work. I wish I had the confidence to this job. You are doing a great job.

I am just wondering if EX_BRIT is still around. He used to help me alot.

Jerry

knsingh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi Halton,

I am really not sure what your concern is, I read the complete thread and I found you have mentioned your printer is working fine and also MVT found no issues with McAfee. If you are concerned about what dell had made changes in firewall to make work your printer work.. my guess would be they must have added Printer IP address to McAfee Firewall settings.

Please reply if I miss understood your concern .

Regards

Kriz

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community