cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DamusFucious
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Total Protection icon reappearing on desktop

Ever since my last update, this icon keeps showing up, despite multiple deletions. How do I permanently get rid of this?

BTW.... I am not computer savy,  so the fix needs to be relatively easy.

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: Total Protection icon reappearing on desktop

Hello and welcome to the forums.  This is a known bug which reappeared in a recent update after a very long absence and they are working to reverse it as we speak.  I have no timeline for a fix however.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Moved to SecurityCenter from Top Threats, as a more appropriate spot.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 4 of 12

This has been a recurring issue since 2009! With every upgrade we have to muck about with the registry ourselves to "fix" the issue... only to have it recurr the following year -- with a greater root, more difficult to remove!  YOU FOLKS AREN'T DOING A DAMN THING TO FIX THE ISSUE!

Incidentally, how confident should we be considering you have the same problems with your software with each upgrade! STOP COPYIN AND PASTING YOUR CODE!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Multiple posts achieve nothing except give us MODs aggravation.  As stated elsehwere, this issue is a new one that started just before Christmas and is not as simple as you may think and nothing to do with the one a year ago which was fixed.  The engineers are working on fixing it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

According to McAfee management post here:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/221195#221195

"We already fixed both issues (The icon and the Start Menu entry wont delete some people are experiencing also) and the build is currently in QA. There has been so much talk about testing, so we are doing a lot of extra testing per your requests. If the testing goes well, we should have the patch deployed middle of next week."

kamala
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

First bug with McAfee. I have been subscriber for almost 5 years.  The shortcut acts like malware reappearing, re-setting the security center, giving false risk warnings, and eating up cpu and memory. Hopefully you will have the fix soon. Thanks.

MJ

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Next few days hopefully.    If, after the icon issue is fixed, that CPU/Memory usage still looks high you might want to avail yourself of the free phone or online chat support available via Useful Links at the top of this page.    Don't bother yet though as they can't help with this icon issue.

phantomds
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

In my business, this is known as regression issues, and it's supposed to one of the first things a QA team does on a new version. So...20 days after this was reported here, not even a patch? gosh, your programmers must be awfully busy to have any concern for the user's comfort.

I don't claim to know your code or method of working, but if I did this, I'd be flipping burgers pretty fast.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 12

The fix is already released in some countries and is said to be ready to roll out in others. See the Home Page at https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ for the latest information.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 11/01/12 04:25:00 GMT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community