Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s7oan
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Total Protection Installation Error

Jump to solution

Untitled.jpg

I recently purchased online a 1 year subscription to Mcafee Total Protection, ive downloaded the setup, but when i click on it i get this message??? Ive installed the latest Java and also ran the Mcafee online technician thingy! Still the same msg pops up, also ive uninstalled the older version of Total Protection... Help appreciated and also how to i go about requesting a refund? Just in case as im not paying 40 quid for an error msg 😃

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Total Protection Installation Error

Jump to solution

You don't state what system you are using but it looks like Windows 7.  McAfee uses Internet Explorer regardless of your choice of default browser so make sure you have the latest version of IE9 installed.

Then open it and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advance and click Reset.  Apply and OK it and OK any prompts.

Close and reopen IE9.  Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

See if that works.

Java and Javascript are two totally different things.   Javascript is part of your browser(s) and should work OK at default settings.

By the way Technical Support Online Chat support is always free.

When you uninstalled an older version of McAfee did you run the clean up tool and reboot before installing the new one, that could be part of the problem too.

It is linked under Useful Links at the top of this page as is Tech Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/09/11 9:24:52 EDT AM

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

You don't state what system you are using but it looks like Windows 7.  McAfee uses Internet Explorer regardless of your choice of default browser so make sure you have the latest version of IE9 installed.

Then open it and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advance and click Reset.  Apply and OK it and OK any prompts.

Close and reopen IE9.  Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

See if that works.

Java and Javascript are two totally different things.   Javascript is part of your browser(s) and should work OK at default settings.

By the way Technical Support Online Chat support is always free.

When you uninstalled an older version of McAfee did you run the clean up tool and reboot before installing the new one, that could be part of the problem too.

It is linked under Useful Links at the top of this page as is Tech Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/09/11 9:24:52 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I just noticed your question about obtaining a refund.  That's easy, simply phone Customer Service which is the second link from the left on this page  http://service.mcafee.com/default.aspx?lc=2057

It's a free call.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Getting the programs installed with just a little bit of trouble shooting is much easier than getting a refund !  But at the same time,  Sorry for the inconvenience caused here with regards to the Installation error . Please let us know some of the below information so as we could help you getting the programs installed .

What is the operating system of the PC ?
Open internet explorer – click on help and then click About Internet Explorer
And do let us know the version & cipher strength of your internet explorer .
From Internet explorer – Click Tools – click Windows update and check if there is any pending update available for the PC.

Regards,

s7oan
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Cheers for the replies guys, just got home so shall try what you suggested  Ex_Brit... Yep Win7 with service pack 1, i never ran the clean up tool after i uninstalled the previous Mcafee...

Dinz -  Win7 Home Premium 64-bit... IE9 Version 9.0.8112.16421, Cipher strength 264 bit... Theres 15 updates so im downloading and installing now 😃

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution
i never ran the clean up tool after i uninstalled the previous Mcafee...

It's sometimes a good idea to do so.  Dinz may have some other suggestions too.

s7oan
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Good news, got the windows updates, ran the removal tool... Reinstalled Mcafee and success Im now secure for a year 😃 Thanks to both of you for the help, appreciate it!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

That's good. All the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community