Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonybroad
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Total Protection 2009 not updating

Hello

I have installed Total Protection 2009 on two of my home PC's - it scans regularly and updates fine on my old XP machine but my new Vista HP laptop fails to update and keeps recommending re-installation, this does not solve the problem.

It is a brand new HP G70 laptop and is fresh out of the box with Vista Home Premium

Are there any default firewall or windows vista security issues i need to address/disable to allow mcafee to update properly

this is so frustrating

regards Tony Broad
Tags (1)
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: Total Protection 2009 not updating

Is this machine behind any barriers such as a company or university firewall or proxy server?
Also, do you have any other protection software active?
How do you connect to the internet?

Make sure that you haven't accidentally disabled updating.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
With Security Center highlighted at top left, click Advanced over at the right.
Make sure anything but the last option in the attached thumbnail #1 are checked - choose the best for you.
(Click thumbnail to enlarge).

Even if you don't use Internet Explorer.......
Get rid of IE8 beta, if you have it. In IE7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the "Reset" button.

Close and re-open IE7 and re-enable the add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-Ons.

Go to Start/Run and enter services.msc and click Enter. OK UAC if it prompts.
Make sure the McAfee services are all started and automatic except possibly Scanner as shown in thumbnail #3.
(Note: the number of services will vary depending on your installed products).

There is something else you could try which involves deleting some files and replacing them.

First, in Windows Explorer (any internal page such as Documents) go to Tools/Folder Options/View and make sure that "Show Hidden Files & Folders" is enabled as in thumbnail #2. Click Apply and OK.

Go to your drive\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT and delete the contents of that folder. Take care to delete only the contents and not the folder itself.

Your Security Center should now be throwing up errors. Right-click the taskbar icon and select Updates.

Lastly make sure that Windows is totally up to date with all critical and non-critical updates using the Microsoft Updates option in Vista.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

RE: Total Protection 2009 not updating

By the way, I may be wrong but HP machines often come with Norton protection. Run Norton removal tool just in case remnants are interfering with McAfee.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039/
tonybroad
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

thanks

HP comes with Norton and tries to install it when you switch on but i didn't install it

what you suggested seems to have worked but i'm not sure which element cured it

thanks again

tony
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

RE: thanks

Glad you are OK now. Run that Norton Removal Tool it should get rid of that nag. Moving this to solved area.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community