cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HIPOCKETS81
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

The dashboard icon in the taskbar is missing.

I'm three months into a two year subscription to McAfee Total Protection. I tried to disable it for a moment to install a software that I trusted but would not install because it said an antivirus was running.

The dashboard icon in the taskbar was missing. I found the program in C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\3.11.717. There was no uninstall.exe file, but there was an uninstall.ini file. The scheduled scan is working, but since the icon was missing I cannot change the schedule and I do not know how to initiate a scan if I need to..

The .exe files in the above directory are:
McCHSvc, McUICnt, and SSScheduler.

These background processes show up in Task Manager:
McAfee Access Protection
McAfee CSP SERVICE HOST
McAfee MANAGEMENT SERVICE (2)
McAfee PROCESS VALIDATION SERVICE
McAfee SCANNER SERVICE

AutoRuns reports that mfeavfk01 and mfencbcdc01 files are missing.

I guess I have to reinstall MTP.

Can I safely run the original setup file on top of what I have on the hard drive, or should I uninstall what's there?   I can uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller Pro, but I seem to remember that there a special program is needed to uninstall McAfee products.

FOOTNOTE: Many of us have a small ssd for a C: drive, and really need to put apps on another drive, in my case D:. -- Come on, McAfee, let us specify the location when we install one of your products! Other than that, I think you are great!

1 Reply
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: The dashboard icon in the taskbar is missing.

Agreed re choice of disks though unsure you can as Mcaffee installs in many direcrories on C drive.

Re uninstall follow

How to remove McAfee

Also no icon in the up arrow on the taskbar  no icon in recycle bin?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community