cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nansicotte
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Task bar icon shows computer not protected

The task bar icon has had a white x in it since we returned from vacation on August 27. I have tried various ways to get this corrected through McAfee. They said they would call me personally about this three days ago. They have not called.
When I turn off the computer completely and restart it, the normal red M comes up for a short time. Then it reverts to the "unprotected computer" M with the white x. Boxes with the message that my computer "is not protected" appear regularly.
It appears only the computer files and the Internet are affected by this. The "Fix it" screen does not activate, so cannot solve the problem through that screen.
The updates show that programs are up to date. Recent events show that on 8/30 Real-time virus protection was enabled.
I have gone through MVT. It is in a loop. The box for downloading MVT files keeps appearing, even though I have downloaded those.

Can anyone help?

User Name altered to hide email address - Mod
11 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

RE: Task bar icon shows computer not protected

Hi,
Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, are you still facing the issue with McAfee product. if yes, Then please clarify.

What is the Operating system you use?
Did you made any recent changes you made to the computer?
Steps
Option 1: Run the MVT and fix the issue option.
http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp
Option 2: try to enable the McAfee services from the services.msc
For windows XP computer
Start-click on Run-services.msc
Check with McAfee Real time Scanning is started. if not then Right Click on the McAfee real time scanning and click on start.

For Windows Vista computer

Start – search bar type – services.msc – right click services and run as administrator
Check with McAfee Real time Scanning is started. if not then Right Click on the McAfee real time scanning and click on start.
nansicotte
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Icon shows computer not protected

I finally managed to get the MVT activated. It checked the various McAfee products. Session ID # 20203413. Then I followed your directions to Start > Run > Services.msc. Real Time Scanning shows as Started.

I have an HP Compaq Presario computer with Windows XP Media Center.

The icon still has the white x on the red M. So is the computer protected even though this icon shows it is not?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

RE: Icon shows computer not protected

Hi
I don’t find any issue in the MVT report; please let us know what is the message you get in the right hand panel of McAfee security center.:)
nansicotte
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I cannot get any messages in the right hand panel of Security Center. It is not activated. It only shows that my subscription needs to be verified. (This has been verified many times.)
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Hi
Find out which email address you registered your product with by clicking on the following URL:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/agent/tools/ts/ts_getemail_new.asp

If you see a different email address. Then I would say we need to uninstall and reinstall the McAfee product. With following KB article Document ID: TS100507

{http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lang=en_US&prior_tid=18&AnswerID=16777217&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26id%3DTS100507%26actp%3Dsearch}
nansicotte
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

"http://us.mcafee.com/apps/agent/tools/ts/ts_getemail_new.asp" brings up an empty screen. I have had my same email address [EMAIL="NanSicotte@aol.com"]EMAIL REMOVED FOR YOUR SAFETY for over 10 years.
nansicotte
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

The web site to find what email my account is under, as given in the previous mesages, brings up this notice.

File Not Found (404)
The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable or no longer exists.
Please check the URL again or look below for help.
What are you looking for at McAfee?
McAfee Homepage
McAfee Service Information
Support
Return to the Previous Page

I have already responded that my email has not changed in over 10 years. The icon still shows that my computer is unprotected. Only McAfee can help with this. My problem seems to have been dropped. Can someone please respond?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Sorry for the delayed response, follow the steps given below and update us with a outcome

Try to run the free versions of Malware removal tool: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php clean anything it detected.

Ping the Download.McAfee.com {Start-Run (windows key + R)-CMD-type-ping download.mcafee.com} post the reply you receive.

Restarted the computer and then try to update the McAfee product.
nansicotte
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

reference number 484570-372394770484570-346279581

This is to check if your issue has been resolved.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
My response to McAfee Assurance message of 9/14:

Yes, the McAfee Security program was re-installed by the Chat help person and now seems to be working correctly. The Chat system worked well in correcting the problem, whereas the Community Forum system did not resolve the issue, over a period of many days. Thank you for checking.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community