cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fs_fan
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

System freezes right before finishing update

Since some time ago, right before completing an automatic update, McAfee (ISS) freezes the computer.
It lasts for just a couple of seconds, but it is a little annoying.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.
9 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

RE: System freezes right before finishing update

Hi,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried to update it recently or do you still have the same issue?
fs_fan
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

The problem still persists, although now it does not happen every update, just once in a while.

Don't know if this information helps, but when the freeze happens and the PC returns to life, the order of the windows on the taskbar changes. Considering that I usually only have Windows Live Messenger and Firefox open (in this order), after the freeze WLMessenger kind of closes and re-opens the window, so that it goes to the last position.

The McAfee product updates automatically daily.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Hi

Please clarify

What is the OS (Operating system) you use ?

Did you made any changes to the system in the recent past?

Please provide the DAT version of McAfee Virus scan (open the Security center -> click on about button -> check the version for all the product)

Try to update the Windows including the optional software update( open IE->click on tools -> Windows update->click on custom)

Try to performed the MVT (McAfee Virtual technician) scan in the system
Link is http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp and post the session ID in the thread

Regards
Bala
fs_fan
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Ok, let's see if I manage to provide all the needed information:

If by changes in the system you mean hardware, it has remained unchanged since March, which was since when McAfee products are being used.

DAT version: 5529.0000. It just finished an update, this time with no freeze although yesterday there was the slight delay in system response.

Windows says the system is fully up-to-date (daily automatic updates search option is set).

MVT Session ID 15740575. Retrieved no problems.

Hope this helps.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for providing the information, I don’t see any issue with product installed in the system by reviewing the MVT session ID Report.
Did you noticed any service which is taking the maximum CPU usage in the task manage when this happen
Did you have this issue while opening any application along with McAfee update?
There is a possibility of conflicting software in the computer so if you are using any other protection software please remove it (ex: Norton, AVG, zone alarm …..)

Regards
Bala
fs_fan
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I am not using any other protection software.
I have not monitored CPU usage during updates, but I'll try it in the next few days and see what happens.

This is not a major problem, so I'm not worrying too much, but of course would be better if solved.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Hi

Can you clarify what is the version of IE (internet Explorer) you use ?

Try to perform the Malware removal tool: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and remove any detected files make sure you remove the Malware bytes from the system once you complete the Scan.

Regards
Bala
fs_fan
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

IE is version 7.0.6001.18000
FireFox is version 3.0.6.

The mbam quick scan retrieved a"Hijack.DisplayProperties" registry entry that was successfully removed. Do you think this could be the problem?

Why do you say I should make sure that I removed the program after usage?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

I have asked to remove the Malware bytes because it’s a free tool and used only for cleaning any junk files (Malware entry in the computer) which may conflict with McAfee update files.
But please do revert back to us if you have any more concern

Regards
Bala
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community