Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsinger9999
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Spybot removal issue

Hello,

i have searched the forums for this and a bunch of other places as well.

i cannot install my upgrade of security center 2009.

I get the message that I have to remove Spybot.

I go to add remove programs in XP and attempt to remove Spybot and get the message that xp cannot find the file unins000.dat.

The issue is I can find no other Spybot files anywhere on my pc. I have removed any type of folder related to it. I have reinstalled this version of Spybot -1.5.2.20 and tried uninstalling and this did not work as well. I have installed a new version over this version and uninstalled and the new version can be uninstalled and this cannot.

I have followed Spybot's instructions on manual removal at

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html and still no success.

i have been at this for approximately 10 days and now my upgrade/update of Mcafee is useless and my old subscription has expired.

Thanks for any advice.
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: Spybot removal issue

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit hit the Enter key.
Go to:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/UNINSTALL

Look for any entries in that key that pertain to Spybot & Safer Networking and delete them. be very careful to only delete those entries and none of the others.

More help is available on Spybot's Forums: http://forums.spybot.info/
Grif
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Spybot also has a registry cleanup tool which should clean out all remnants AFTER you've done the standard "Add/Remove Programs" uninstall.. Download it and run it.. Here's the link.:

Clicking on the link below will immediately open the download dialogue box for the .reg tool. After downloading the file to your desktop, double click on it and select "yes/OK" each time it asks..

http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg

Hope this helps.

Grif
jsinger9999
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks!

Thanks for the help one and all. I actually found an old post that offered the solution of reinstalling one last time then editing the registry which had :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1

To the real location of C:\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe which worked!

Thanks again.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Glad it's OK now.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community