Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1 of 20

Some components are missing. Please reinstall McAfee SecurityCenter

Hi.

Been having some problems with McAfee recently. About a week or so ago I turned my computer on and everything was fine, until McAfee popped up to say I wasn't protected, saying "Some components are missing. Please reinstall McAfee Anti-Spam". I checked the installed components and it said that Anti-Spam was there, so I rebooted and the message never came back and McAfee seemed to work fine again.

However, about Tuesday or Wednesday McAfee popped up with a similar message, this time saying "Some components are missing. Please reinstall McAfee SecurityCenter". Again, I don't know why it's doing this, and everything else seems to work fine, can do scans etc and can open SecurityCenter, and having had an absolute nightmare in actually trying to get McAfee installed in the first place around a year ago, I don't want to have to reinstall it, especially when I'm not sure what the actual problem is anyway.

I've had a look through some other threads on here and it'd seem the Virtual Technician is a good place to start, but that says no problems were found, which seems odd given what McAfee is telling me in the first place. (Session ID is 17522412 btw, if that's any use).

Any ideas of what I can do to sort this out? Thanks in advance!
19 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 20

RE: Some components are missing. Please reinstall McAfee SecurityCenter

Hi,

Please clarify,

How old is the computer? How long you have this issue in the computer?
Check if we have any third party application (Norton, AVG) in the Add and remove program (start-control panel-add and remove program)
Steps
Try to verify the subscription (right click on ‘M’ icon in the system Tray and click on Verify subscription).
Try to update the McAfee product and let us know if you get any error
In addition try to update the windows including Optional update (open the Internet Explore Click Tools->windows update)
NYGriff
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Virus seems to be preventing me from accessing McAfee site

Sorry to post on this thread, but I can't seem to start a new thread.
While trying to renew my Virus scan plus subscription on my recently sluggish desktop, the'renew' prompt gives me an error message "The page cannot be displayed (403-1)". I can't get to McAfee.com at all, either from the email they sent or by typing in the url. (So I'm on another computer....) But, my McAfee Security center shows that everything is working well.
I called McAfee and renewed over the phone and tried to get some tech help. Two hours, counting the sale and interminable holds and long pauses (I should have come directly to you).
We checked for other virus programs (none), reset the internet explorer settings, did the quick clean. The tech said suggested a full scan in safe mode - which I did. It took almost two hours and found nothing.
The tech said if the full scan did not fix things then I probably have a virus and should call the mcAfee virus line so I can pay to have it removed. This doesn't seem right. He also said I would have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Virus scan plus because I renewed it. This also doesn't seem to make sense.
I seem to be getting the automatic updates, but my system (Windows XP) is running slow and it seems odd that I can't gete to the mcAfee site.
Thanks for your advice.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 20

RE: Virus seems to be preventing me from accessing McAfee site

Hi

Please clarify,
How old is the computer? Did you have any issue with pop-ups or alert in the computer?
What type of internet connection you use (DSL, Cable or wireless)
Steps:
Try to perform the windows update including Optional update (open the Internet Explore Click Tools->windows update)

Try to run the free versions of tool: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php clean anything it detected.
NYGriff
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Thanks.
The computer is about 6 years old. I don't really have any pop-up problems. The connection is cable.
I just ran the Windows update. If I run the malwarebytes tool, will it interfere with McAfee (later)?
Thanks!
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 6 of 20

We are just try to remove any malware infection in the computer that is preventing you to get into McAfee site and we suggest you to remove the malware byte once you’re able to install the McAfee
NYGriff
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Okay - I'll do that and let you know what happens. Many thanks.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 8 of 20

You're welcome happy
NYGriff
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Hi again,
I ran the Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (short and long versions) and removed what was identified - and rebooted - but the problem is not solved. Do you have any other suggestions?
My McAfee security center says I am protected, but also says that my subscription expires in two days (I renewed it yesterday).
Thanks.
NYGriff
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Still can't access McAfee site for updates -ugh - please get me out of Limbo!

Hi - I also ran the superantispyware recommended by Ex Brit to another supplicant -and deleted the stuff it found. My McAfee Center now acknowledges that I renewed my subscription but I still can't connect to McAfee.com to reinstall Virus Protection Plus. Please can you offer a solution? Thanks.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community