cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btsam
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Slow virus scan

I installed the newest version of Security Suite yesterday - I had last year's on previously, which was uninstalled using mpcr. It is version 13 with viruscan 9. The viruscan now is taking a long time to complete. It has been scanning for over 6 1/2 hours and has only scanned 400,000 files/70%. Previously, it was done scanning in approx. 3 hours.

Is this new version a lot slower, or is there something wrong with this installation?

ps. As I was registering and writing this message, the scanner suddenly jumped from approx. 70%/400k files to done/442k files. How is that possible to take 6 1/2 hours/70% and then jump to done/442k files? 70% of 442k files is 300k files.

Thank you.
Tags (1)
4 Replies
btsam
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

No Response

Gee, thanks for your response (sic). That was so helpful! Guess I'll try actual support.
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 5

RE: No Response

Sorry your 1st go at this forum was not to your liking we seem to have missed the post. We are volunteers here and have only a limited time to answer questions.

That said did you solve your issue at all?

Mine takes 4 hrs or so for a similiar quantity of files. I usually scan at a time the pC is quiet and omit zip files (once I comfirm they are clean) from further scans. Did you have different settings on the previous version? The new version has a few different scanning tests so could be longer but 6 hrs seems a tad long.

You did not by chance have Scan using minimal computer resources set?
Chrispy1
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

You think yours takes a long time. I have mine start at 10pm every Saturday night it used to finish around 3 in the morning. Over the last few months it takes longer. It is now 08:54 GMT Sunday morning and it only 96% done:eek:
I do have 2 hard drives C with 120 Gb with 29Gb used and F with 320Gb with 228 Gb used.
F is just storage Photos, music, downloads and backups, no running programs windows and everything else is on the C.

I take it btsam you never got any more replys.
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 5

What my reply not enough:D

Try running the Mcafee virtual Tech program linked to in my Signature after running it a poster recently said it sped things up.

Average time 2-3 hrs for your size mine larger size( 1*140/2*320/1Tb) and have 3-4 hrs Of course do not have a cd in the drive as you might accidently scan it as well and that can slow things down.

Make sure Scan using Minimal resources not set as an option in
Configure
Computer and files
Virus protection
Advanced
Sceduled scan

As you run at night no worry re slowing gaming etc unless you are a night owl:)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community