cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Novosedoff
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Setting Apache HTTP server to work with McAfee

Hi, I am trying to run Apache HTTP server and share a file via \htdocs, so the other person could download it from remote station. The problem is that the file can be only downloaded when I turn the protection off, which is obviously not good. Can anybody advise what kind of permissions I should assign to Apache server or IE 8 in McAfee, so I dont have to shut the protection completely?

10 Replies
Novosedoff
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Setting Apache HTTP server to work with McAfee

Still dont have an answer......

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

Could you please confirm whether you use the enterprise version of Mcafee or the home version ? ;

Regards,
Dinesh K

Novosedoff
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

I use Home version. So, any ideas how I can make it work with httpd.exe?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

Ø  Are you receiving any error messages while running the Apache portal or while sharing files ?

Ø  Please open security center and let me know the exact message : Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure so that we could proceed with the configurations accordingly.

Regards,
Dinesh K

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Moved to SecurityCenter 10.

Novosedoff
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Dinz,

1) I dont get any error messages from Apache, neither I get them from McAfee

2) The security centre says "Am I protected YES"

The version of my Security Centre is 9.15, and it is Russian 2-months trial-out version which was pre-setup on my laptop at the time of purchase - so, I'm not sure if I can really change anything and migrate to later version 10, though by my observation it regularly gets automatic updates on its own.

Just to emphasize what I need one more time - the current configuration of McAfee is blocking the outbound connections to my HTTP server, so noone is really able to access whatever files I share on the server. Only way I can manage it now is by switching off the protection of firewall completely. But this is obviously not the most desirable solution for me as I remain exposed to other potential threats from the Internet. So, ideally I'd like to reconfigure the McAfee firewall so as to allow outbound connections for Apache httpd.exe program and a local folder, in which I put out my files. Hope this is clear.

Message was edited by: Novosedoff on 4/4/10 7:04:29 PM CDT
Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Hi there,

Thanks for the complete description about the problem . Please follow the below steps and the update me on the status of your outbound connection.

1.Open security center
2.Select Internet & Network, then click Configure on the right.
3.In the section titled Firewall protection is enabled, click Advanced.
4.Select Program Permissions from the Home list on the left.
5.Check whether Apache httpd.exe is given full permission in the list ; If not Click the Add Allowed Program button on the right.
6.Use Windows Explorer to browse and locate your application .exe.
7.Click OK and close SecurityCenter.

And check whether you are able to establish outbound connections to your HTTP server .

Regards,
Dinesh K

Novosedoff
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Thank you, Dinesh. I actually had checked this setting before and found that full permission was granted to my httpd.exe file.

However this appeared to be not sufficient as the other person who was helping me to test the connection couldn't even ping my computer via Internet until I turned off the protection. Apparently there must be some other things which I shall do in order to resolve the problem. Do I need to assign special permissions to iexplorer.exe or any other file?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Does the program / server require any authentication or does it use any port to connect with the server ?Please refer to the program support , and let me know on this. By the time I shall make a research on this and get back to you .

Thanks,
Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community