Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
verisimilitude
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Seecurity Center won't open

Hi there,

I'm trying to solve a problem with my Dad's version of McAfee on his computer. He has had McAfee on his computer for a few years now with no problems. But recently it appears to have stopped functioning.

The small M appears in the notification area but when you double click on it to bring up security centre all you get is the splash screen and then nothing. After checking in the windows security center is says that the firewall and virus scan can't be detected.

To try and solve this I intended to uninstall the program and then reinstall it. But when i tried to do this in Windows Add/Remove programs I ahd the same problem. I clicked on Remove and nothing happened. So I used the McAfee software removal tool to uninstall all components. this all worked ok.

Then I downloaded the software again but when i clicked on it to setup nothing happens.

It only appears to be McAfee that this problem is happening with and as far as i'm aware there has been nothing new installed on the computer recently.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get McAfee back onto the computer?

Thanks in advance!
6 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

RE: Seecurity Center won't open

hi,

what operating system are you working on? and what version of IE are you using?

do you suspect any infection in the system?
verisimilitude
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Windows XP (i'll have to check whether it's SP2 or SP3)

The computer has IE7 installed and there are no signs of infection (it was scanned regularly before this started to happen).

Thanks!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

what do you exactly mean by this? did you download the DMSETUP on your computer and then ran it... and nothing happens?

or everything was successfully installed but when you open mcafee nothing happens?

please also run Mcafee Virtual Technician in my signature and post the session ID here.
verisimilitude
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

I downloaded DMSETUP, double clicked on it and nothing happened. No install wizard, nothing.

I tried downloading it several times in case it was corrupted but with the same result.

I am at work just now, but will run virtual technician once i'm home.

Thanks for your help.
verisimilitude
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

I've tried running McAfee virtual technician but it doesn't seem to work either.

I double click on the icon and a window pops up but it simply says 'Navigation to the webpage was canceled'

It doesn't seem as if anything wants to work!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

hi,

here are some things that you can check...

with the navigation to the page cancelled:

open internet explorer>click on tools option (top bar)>choose internet options>navigate to the content tab>in the content advisor category make sure that it is disabled (you should see an enable button)

with the dmsetup not running:

open internet explorer>click on tools option (top bar)>choose internet options>click on security>set the level to medium(click on the default button)

then click on the privacy tab>set it to medium as well>click on the advanced button (under privacy tab)

in the window put a check on override automatic cookie handling>put a check on always allow session cookies>hit ok

back to the privacy tab>make sure that you uncheck pop up blocker

after all these visit the link below and try to run the patch for crypto.dll

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/dsfix.bat

post back for updates on you issue...

hope this helps...
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community