Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
try1
Former Member
Message 11 of 14

Re: Security scan is running extremely slow on Win 7

Jump to solution

This is a follow-up on my previous post. The problem is fixed!!!  See what I wrote to Bixxell. Under any other topic called Very slow "full scan"these two topics addressed the same issue.

Bixxell, what you suggested worked very well, by deleting Windows old file. I did a full scan in less than an hour that is down from the 10 to 12 hours time it used to take. I did fine with the Windows old file, it would scan over 2 million files and folders. I don't understand that since I only removed 35 GB and it went down to scanning 94,600 files I think is the way Windows 7 is looking at the page file system on the old Vista files. It may be a Windows 7 glitch or McAfee glitch. At any point it now makes McAfee usable. There is another post running concurrent with this one that addresses the same problem thanks again for the solution.

I hope this info helps.

TXRoger
Former Member
Message 12 of 14

Jump to solution

This problem IS NOT FIXED.   I upgraded from XP AFTER confirming McAfee Total Protection was approved  for Windows 7.   My PC does not have a file / folder "Windows.old" or  any other extraneous mess.  I stopped the full scan after NINETY MINUTES  and ELEVEN files!!!   When will this problem be corrected?

jklein4663
Contributor II
Message 13 of 14

Jump to solution

Here's how I fixed this problem on my computer (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200S, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit):

IMPORTANT!!  This worked for me but I can't guarantee it will work for you.  I strongly suggest you make a full system backup before you try it, just in case it causes problems on your machine.

Open Windows Explorer and expand the "C:" drive.
Open the "Users" folder.
Check each subfolder for a folder named "Application Data".
Open the "Application Data" folder. If it contains a folder with the same name, delete that redundant folder.
Do the same thing in any "Local Settings" folder under any of the "Users" folders.
Go back to the "C:" drive, and open the "Documents and Settings" folder, and go through the same process.

DO NOT delete the first "Application Data" folder you come to; only delete the "Application Data" folders that are contained in an "Application Data" folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin before you start a scan.

After I did this, I completed a full scan in an hour and 11 minutes. Before, it took over twenty hours. I haven't seen any change in the way any of my applications work, and none of the redundant folders have reappeared.

It appears to me that those redundant folders are just pointing back at themselves, and cascade downhill for several iterations (I've opened them as deep as fifteen times!) Every time I step further down, CPU load goes up, and everything slows down. I have no idea where they came from.  McAfee was scanning every file in the "Application Data" folders over and over and over and taking longer and longer to do it each time.

Hope this helps!

Jim

elton
Former Member
Message 14 of 14

Jump to solution

For all these reasons I've seen on mcafee's slow scanning, I've never had a problem with it.

I've been using Mcafee Internet security since 2007 and now using the 2011 version.

I always use the MCPR every year before installing the new version and it deletes all the old, unwanted fragments of mcafee.

I have/use a Dell Inspiron 530 32 BIT (Windows Vista) with 4Ggb Ram & 320gb Hard Drive & I'm currently using the mcafee Internet security 2011. A Complete PC scan ( appox 330,000 files) with the Use minimal resourses unticked for the scheduled scan's, it only takes approx 50 mins. It wizzes through and starts on time within 30 seconds every week aswell. From reading other mcafee user's scan reveiws,  It sounds like I'm the lucky one. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community