Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danii
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Security Ctr blank white screen after windows update Vista 32

Hi Folks,

After a Windows update yesterday my McAfee security center comes up as a blank white screen. I went to virtual technician to try to get a fix and that also comes up as a blank white screen.

I then went to live chat  and the tech took over my desktop and found this to be an IE issue. I asked him if I uninstalled IE and then re-installed if this would fix this. He said yes it should.

I uninstalled IE and re-installed.....Sec Ctr is still a blank white screen.

I have searched the posts before I came here writing this and there seems to be a fix where you unzip something. I don't really know what that means however I tried that and couldn't get that to work for some reason.

FYI .....I have Vista 32, and I use Firefox exclusivlely as a web browser.

One big question is ....even though I have the white screen, is McAfee still getting updates and protecting my computer or is it not working because of this?

Thanks for any help or direction

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Security Ctr blank white screen after windows update Vista 32

No need to fiddle with IE.  It's caused by a jscript corruption in the system.  Click the 'Blank' link in my signature below and try those solutions.  The first one usually works instantly.

Yes you're still protected.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/12/12 1:01:51 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Moved to SecurityCenter for better attention.

Danii
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Thank you for responding........please educate me on this....I tried to do number one on the list............. now what happens is when I click on the link to save it,  it does not ask me where I want to save it , it is just in the download window. So how can I save it to desktop? anyway when I double click in the download window a black screen window comes up saying operations complete....Please restart the computer..........I did this and no fix.

Did I do this wrong?

what exactly does "Unzip" mean........do I need special software to do that?

I do not want to try number two if I did number one wrong .

Comments appreciated

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

I think what happens depends on your browser settings but it's a zip file so you have to extract it and then run it as instructed.  After a restart the blank SecurityCenter should be a thing of the past.  If not, try #2 and so on.   If all fail then contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Tell them you tried all the steps in TS101233.

Danii
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Steps 1 through 3 did not work.................step 4 which is uninstall then re-install says to know what version of McAfee you have.

The prompt to see what version I have .....as told in the TS to do that .....says to click on something in the Mcafee window on sec ctr............well sec ctr is blank....so how would I do that? I can't do that because it is blank.

Today I was on mcAfee live chat and that person took over my desktop and said  IE was corrupted and not to uninstall and re install mcafee .............so what do I do?

I already uninstalled and re installed IE but the white screen is still there for Sec Ctr

What do I do if IE corrupted is causing the blank whitescreen?

Any help from this info greatly appreciated

Thank You

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Is this Vista SP2?  Right-click Computer and select Properties.  That will tell you.

Regarding IE the default for Vista is IE8.   Try installing IE9 from Microsoft's website if you don't have it already.

If you do have it open IE9 and go to Help > About and tell me exactly what it says there.

Try doing a system file check which fixes corruption in the operating system.

How to do a System File Check (sfc /scannow) in Vista

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/12/12 5:48:06 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

By the way, uninstall/reinstall you don't need to know the version number.  Just select the item in Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program and uninstall.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Reinstall from your online account, not from any CD you may have.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/12/12 5:56:57 EST PM
Danii
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Thank You for your time and help,

I will try these when I have time this weekend and then report..........I have to get off the computer now.........I have Vista  home premium SP2

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

OK, don't forget to check what version of IE you have too.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community