cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 1 of 26

Security Certificate Question

I'm having this problem. MVT points up an error on Security Centre: 'Update trusted Microsoft certificates', restart needed after MVT done -- but restarting PC just repeats the problem (running MVT without restarting shows 'No problems'.) I have checked Windows update, and I have the latest updates.

It says that Windows firewall is off -- which it is supposed to be, isn't it? McAfee firewall is shown as working.

It says that my computer's date and time is wrong, thus giving problems to McAfee updating -- but date and time are correct.

It says that my McAfee sub is expired or about to -- but McAfee Security Centre states I have over 400 days left on it.

It says that an issue has occurred that affects the ability of McAfee to update itself -- but updating is OK, DAT up to date (not shown up on MVT as out of date).

Looking at the Services facility, all McAfee services are running, except Scanner and Security Scan Host Component Service (what's that, by the way?), which are manual start-up.

Can anyone advise what's happening?

25 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 26

Re: Security Certificate Question

As the thread you posted in was archived 7 years ago and the software has changed a lot since then, I have given you your own new thread.

MVT has been known to make errors of judgement on occasion.   Was it a fresh download from http://mvt.mcafee.com/ ?

If so and you can't get rid of the error, best to contact Technical Support direct by phone or online chat, see the links on the MVT page.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 26

I don't see those services in my machine.  Make sure you haven't inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus - it will be listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features.

If listed, uninstall it.

(It is offered by many free software providers as an optional extra with download and updates.  One vendor for example would be Adobe.  (Flash, Reader, Acrobat etc.).

Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 4 of 26

I've deleted the existing MVT and downloaded it afresh from the McAfee site.

I've delete the Security Scan Plus.

I'll now reboot to see what happens.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 26

OK, good luck 😉

Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 6 of 26

I had a chat with a technician, and he reinstalled the whole McAfee program. I've just done an MVT -- exactly the same problem coming up.

What I'd like to know is whether this problem is affecting the effectiveness of my McAfee; are the anti-virus and firewall services, etc, being affected by this?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 26

No, I suspect that MVT needs to be updated.  I've seen this happen before.  It's a tool to be used as a guideline really.

As long as the SecurityCenter states it is protecting, relax.

Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 8 of 26

'As long as the SecurityCenter states it is protecting, relax.' That's what I like to see, thanks.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 26

MVT should probably not be concerning itself with the state of your Microsoft Trusted Root Certificate store. Is what you posted - "Update trusted Microsoft certificates"  exactly what appears in the MVT report?

Microsoft pushes updates to the Root Certificates to some but perhaps not all Windows operating systems. Which version of Windows is involved here?

"I have checked Windows update, and I have the latest updates" - I wouldn't be too confident about that. Some of the Microsoft Certificate updates are classed as "Optional" and won't show up if you just check for the Critical/Important updates. And as for the update mechanism itself, where are you going to get updates? Microsoft is changing the way it distributes updates, so the old way of getting them may no longer work.

The best way to check this is to do a search for all MS Certificate updates over the past couple of years, make a note of the KB numbers, and check those against your Update History.

Paul_of_London
Contributor III
Message 10 of 26

The MVT report does say 'Update trusted Microsoft certificates; here's a screenshot of the MVT.

MVT SS 23 Aug 16 -- 3.png

One of my problems is that I'm not particularly technically minded and I don't know how to 'update trusted Microsoft certificates', there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this. I have asked on a Microsoft users' site how to do this.

I'm running Windows 10, version 1511, this was installed to replace Windows 7 late last year. I have checked the updates I have had successfully installed on my PC since then, and they correspond with those on the Microsoft site for this version of Windows 10. 

I checked McAfee as soon as I could after booting up and also looked at Services, and both state that the McAfee Firewall and Real-Time Scanning are working: this is reassuring, but I'd like to get things working properly.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community