cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1 of 6

Security Centre 9 Unprotected - Not solved

There was a thread going regards issues with Security Centre throwing up a message about being unprotected after updates. It has been moved to solved issues but as far as I am concerned it is not solved. It is clearly related to a McAfee update from early February and it is seriously starting to annoy me. I have had couple of updates which have worked fine but the last two including yesterday's (27 Feb) updated and then froze my system for about 20 seconds and then switched off the protection to everything barring the Firewall. I click Fix and everything is OK. The Dat file is current but there is clearly a glitch in the updating.
Tech Support is next to useless and MVT shows nothing wrong with the system. I mostly update with no other programs open but it does not make a difference.
Tags (2)
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Security Centre 9 Unprotected - Not solved

Have you tried deleting the content of the DAT folder and then updating as described in that other thread?

Did you try uninstall, cleanup with MCPR and reinstall?

It would also help if you posted what steps you have taken already and what operating system, service pack this is.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

Ex_Brit, yes, I have tried renaming the DAT folder and updating but as I already stated my DAT file was current and the details in the other thread mentioned the DAT file being out of date.
System is XP with SP2.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled as this seems to be a stock response to a lot of things. It's up there with turn it off and switch it back on again. McAfee switches off my protection after updating and then I'm supposed start uninstalling everything on the off chance that it might solve the problem.

I appreciate that you are a volunteer and are just trying to help but after Tech Support trying to fob me off with their paid-for service to remove a non-existent virus my patience is wearing a little thin.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

The point about deleting the content of the DAT folder was nothing to do with an out of date file, rather a corrupted one. That way the file got purged and replaced. I would try it at least. Update immediately afterwards, or click "Fix".

Often the only route is to do the uninstall, MCPR removal tool routine and then reinstall. It cures a lot of issues. I would try that too.

Have you been using any registry cleaners lately? They cause havoc with programmes like McAfee.

It's the weekend now so there is only us volunteers available here. The Technical Support Chat is free and available 24/7. At least they can escalate the issue.

By the way, in less than 1 years time XP SP2 will be obsolete so I recommend you upgrade to SP3 a.s.a.p. There is help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807
Denyse01
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

I have done everything that has been suggested over and over again. And for a few moments the computer is protected and then like magic the box opens and says I am not protected.

OK... from the top what I have done this time.

#1 I reformatted my hard drive, and then reinstalled Windows XP Pro with SP3

#2 I then installed McAfee Total protection.

#3 I then installed Firefox 3.0.7

THAT IS ALL THAT IS ON MY COMPUTER.

And the not protected error comes up.

What is wrong?

BTW...

Also I went to the "Shield's UP" site, and at least know the firewall is working perfectly

Another problem, NOW all of a sudden I can see the type in the information boxes but NONE of the graphics show up.

This is becoming more than just a major problem.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

I think it best to open a case with Technical Support Chat, as they can go into your machine if necessary. They can also escalate the problem to a higher level.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community