cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milanp1
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Security Center and Spyware Doctor 6.0 conflict

I had a problem with the Security Center--needed to reinstall. Did not work, so I used the customer support chat to remove the Security Center and Spyware Dcotor 6.0. I was then able to install the security Center, but after I re-installed Spyware Doctor, the problems with the security Center reappeared. Does that mean that I can't have both McAfee Security Center and SPyware Docotr running at the same time? I have ahd both of them on my machine for years, and had no problems. Can anyone suggest what to do? Thanks.
5 Replies
Grif
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

RE: Security Center and Spyware Doctor 6.0 conflict

That's generally correct.. Running two antivirus programs or two antispyware programs that run "real time" in the background will usually cause conflicts.. The problem occurs because they both "hook" deep into the system and fight against each other when running in the background.

One or the other..

Hope this helps.

Grif
Milanp1
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thank you, Grif. But how come I was able to run both simultaneously for years until today?
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Usually you can run multiple security programs 'real-time', if you use only one antivirus program and you know what you're doing.

It may take some fine-tuning (customize!) and the right combination. Even then you sometimes can have conflicts. I use VirusscanPlus and two antispyware applications (all running real-time).

In direct response to your question, in all probability something was changed (maybe update from version 9.0 to 9.3 by McAfee, or a change in the Spyware Doctor ?).
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

hi all,

just a bit of helpful information...

spyware doctor i think made an update that detected mcshield as a backdoor hence quarantining some mcafee files that woudl in turn affect the status of the mcafee software...

for now, due to the change mcafee and spyware doctor cannot won't work together... it is up to spyware doctor to fix it... or just decide which antivirus program to use... anyway spyware doctor is as good as mcafee i presume.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

There's a thread about that at PC Tools Forums: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56348

Try updating Spyware Doctor and make sure that you don't use the anti-virus side of it as that will most definitely clash with McAfee.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community