cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldmanjohn
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Security Center Update Problem

Ever since my security center version was updated several weeks ago, I have been unable to update my dat files.  I keep getting the error message "Update Problem - McAfee cannot update your software. Please check your internet connection."  I have a vey slow dial-up internet connection.  Does the new version of the software require that I have a high-speed internet connection in order to do updates?  I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling, but I had the same problem again.  Thanks.

6 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Security Center Update Problem

Hi there,

If during the update process there happens any disruption that might cause the connection to be static, updates of any nature could get disconnect . You should try to connect to a different connections (something other than dial up ) that should do get your dat files updated without hassle.

Thanks

jeosteen
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

I am seeing the same issue at this time.   I do not have any difficulties with my internet connection, which is a DSL connection.  But I received exactly the same error messages are oldmanjohn.  I have also uninstalled the product, rune the McAfee uninstall tool and then reinstalled the product with the same results.   Windows Updates work perfectly as do other application updates.   I would greatly appreciate any ideas as to how to resolve.

oldmanjohn - were you ever able to resolve?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Hi jeosteen & oldmanjohn

Please check  the below in your PC and let us know the status ;

Click on Start – Click on Run (If you are on Win Vista / 7, please click on start – Click on Start search and type Run and hit enter)

In the open prompt , type drivers

Among the folders, open the folder that says etc

Right click on hosts and select open with

Choose Notepad to open the file

Now , the last line of the host file should contain 127.0.0.1 local host,

Any additional line below that could be deleted and save the host file accordingly .

Restart the PC once and then try updating McAfee, if you still encounter the same issue , please click on Useful links and click Technical support and get in touch with our McAfee support technicians and they would remote inn to check and resolve the issue .

jeosteen
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Entries show:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

# 127.0.0.1       localhost

# ::1             localhost

These are the same entries on a workstation that obtains updates with no issues.

Attempted to delete the last line on the machine that is not functioning (both working and non-working are Windows 7 machines) but states that I do not have the appropriate security to save the file in the folder.   I instead saved the file to the desktop, and then attempted to copy to the etc folder.   The file copied but instead of replacing the old file it added a new file with the txt extension, original file does not seem to have an extension (is this correct?).

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Hi oldmanjohn,

That extn shouldn’t make a difference , I would suggest you to click on Useful links at the top of this page, then click Technical support so as McAfee tech could remote inn to the problematic PC and get the updates flow inn your PC again .

Tech support.JPG

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 7 of 7

JaiPrakash wrote:

Hi oldmanjohn,

That extn shouldn’t make a difference , I would suggest you to click on Useful links at the top of this page, then click Technical support so as McAfee tech could remote inn to the problematic PC and get the updates flow inn your PC again .

Tech support.JPG

Hi Jai Prakash,

OldmanJohn, has not posted since his original post on Sept. 11, 2011.

It seems like the Manual Updates always fails recently on the Weekends. No way online to check the Servers status.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community