cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oconnetj
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Security Center Downloads every startup!

I am running XP on a Thinkpad.  Every time I boot my computer McAfee dowloads my security center.  It slows everything down and then wants me to install it.  I am getting very frustrated with this activity.  So I did a complete removal with the tool and reinstalled my security center - AGAIN - and still the same thing happens.  The virtual technician finds nothing.  This doesn't happen on my other computers which have McAfee installed.

Is this normal?  Does anyone know how to stop this annoying behavior?

Thanks,

Tom O'Connell

5 Replies
ipoi2000
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Security Center Downloads every startup!

hi... this mcafee download that youre saying..is it a small red spinning arrow at the bottom right of your screen?

what is your operating system? win xp or vista

please check your system properties:

click on start>(right click) my computer / computer >(left click) properties

oconnetj
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Yes, it is the red spinning arrow in the tray.  I am running XP on my laptop.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

During an application update, the McAfee update icon is displayed in the System Tray. If the animated icon does not disappear after a few minutes, the update may have stopped responding.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Windows Task Manager.
2. Click Task Manager.
3. Click the Processes tab, then right-click mcupdui.exe and select End Process.
4. Click Yes in the warning dialog box.
5. Close Task Manager.
    Restart your computer. and let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

oconnetj
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

The application update disappears - as it should - but is it supposed to download an update every time I boot up?  That is the frustrating thing.  Is it downloaded virus definitions or is it downloading the whole Security Center.  It's unclear.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

By installing it means it is downloading the updates  for various components which are not getting completed. By the time you complete the above process , the upcoming updates would go fine depending upon your internet connection .

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Communtiy Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community