Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muck
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Security Center 12.1 scanning with older engine version

All,

I had to update to 12.1 a while back.  From there, I have had issues off and on with the engine updating so sometimes I update by hand, which works.  Other times though, I have seen the engine update automatically.

My weekly scan was today and I went to check the results.  No viruses were found but the scan was done with Engine 1520.0 (from May 9, which probably was the last auto-update) instead of the one I manually updated to last night (1529.0).

What's going on here?

I'm just not confident on how all this works anymore.

Thanks.

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Security Center 12.1 scanning with older engine version

Where exactly is it telling you wehich engine it used?   I'm not seeing that in my Security Report.

Edit:  I see it now in Security History and mine says it used 1504.  Not sure why that is but I wouldn't worry about it.

Technical Support would have more information.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/05/13 2:09:11 EDT PM
beatlefan
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

I've noticed the same thing since I updated to 12.1 about a month ago.  However, I only see that on my XP machine.  When I did a full scan on my XP machine this past Saturday morning (and also with previous scans), the Security History log shows that it was done with Engine Version 1500.0 which was the engine version from back on April 19 even though under the "About" tab, it showed that I have Engine 1528.0 (Friday's update).  However, when I did a full scan on my Windows 7 machine also on Saturday, the Security History log showed that it was done with the current engine version (also 1528.0 from Friday).

I was sort of wondering about that myself, but since it didn't seem to affect anything else, I figured it was just one more of those McAfee issues and that if I called Technical Support, they would just tell me to do an uninstall/reinstall which I really don't have the time, patience or strength to do once again as long as it's not causing any other problems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

I don't think it's anything to worry about.  But I will broach the subject on our next conference call with McAfee staff, which isn't until 27 May.

muck
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Please do let me know.  I'm still by and large having to download updates manually (having means when I see no engine change for 2 or 3 days) and when running a quick scan, I'm still seeing the engine from 5/913.

I assume this is probably not so bad as ideally the real time protection is using the latest engine I have.

Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

Can you clarify "download updates manually" - do you mean you are downloading from here?    If so that no longer works for 12.1 and upwards.

Or do you mean right-click and tell it to check for updates?

muck
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

I go to the main window, click updates, and then from there click check for updates or something like that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

OK, that's fine.   I'll tell you what is said after the Monday call.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

My contact has no idea why that is.  I just ran a quick scan and it used the engine 1533 whereas the one installed is 1537,  strange.  I suggest contacting Technical Support.

muck
Former Member
Message 10 of 15

I don't mind contacting them but if I do, they're going to tell me to uninstall / reinstall.  I would rather not have to go through that.  I had to do this when 11.6 stopped updating.

Is there a way I can escalate this to a higher level of tech support? 

Honestly, up until recently (the last few months) Mcafee was always reliable but now I'm not sure confident.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community