cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astor
Contributor II
Message 11 of 23

Re: Scan Won't Start At The Designated Time.

Just received a new PC with McAfee pre-installed.  As per OP my scheduled scan did not run at the expected time.  This is not good.  The whole point of a scheduled task is to run the task at the time scheduled, not 10 minutes later or whatever.  I always scheduled my scan to start at 2am on my other PC and it worked all the time.  I expected the same for the new PC.  The whole point of this is I want to have a weekly scan done overnight as it takes a fair while, not during the day when I'm using the PC.

Also I ran the virtual techician tool and it reported problems:

Personal Firewall - McAfee SecurityCenter 12.0.332

Problem: Product Update Required

AntiSpam - McAfee SecurityCenter 12.0.269

Problem: Product Update Required

I then do a "check updates" and tells me it's already up-to-date.  I suppose I have to go through the usual uninstall - reinstall process like everyone else.  This is becoming ridiculous.  I expected better than this on a new PC.  If I sound annoyed; I am.  I've experienced lots of problems with McAfee on my old PC and was looking forward to continuing with McAfee on a new PC to get away from all the song and dance routines I went through.  I'm now disappointed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 23

The version for SecurityCenter sounds a bit wrong....we are on version 11 right now but Anti-Spam sounds about right although I'll admit I don't have it installed here.  You can check actual version by opening SecurityCenter, then clicking 'About' or Navigation and then About if it's last years version.

You said that the McAfee software came pre-installed so it's possible that the Virtual Technician is reading incorrectly.  It often has problems with 3rd party-provided McAfee software because those 3rd parties often re-brand it or alter it in some shape or form.

This thread has been inactive for about a year but the delayed scheduled scan problem is being worked on and you may want to open a ticket with online Technical Support Chat, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

astor
Contributor II
Message 13 of 23

I've taken the same option as you have and turned off the scheduling.  I'll just start a scan after I've finished for the day once or so a week.  Come to think of it, it's not a bad option.  The scheduling issue may be Windows related.  I don't see a task in the Windows 7 scheduler, but then I didn't see one on my other PC (Windows XP) either.

The version numbers reported refer to the specific components of McAfee SecurityCenter.  Clicking on "About" displays the same numbers.  The Firewall component says it was last updated Sept 10th 2011 and Anti-Spam was Sept 18th 2011.  McAfee Security Center itself is 11.0 Build 11.0.608.  I looked up the invoice and product details on-line and it describes the McAfee SecurityCenter package as specific to Dell computers, which mine of course is.  So should I ignore the report by virtual technician?

Also the McAfee OOBE Service is disabled.  What is this service and should I enable it?

Message was edited by: astor on 17/09/11 4:07:08 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 23

OOBE refers to something to do with the Dell package and should be left alone.  The Task Scheduler in Windows wont show McAfee settings as they are independent and the scan not startring on time is a known bug as I said and is being looked at.

I would ignore what MVT says and do your scans manually as you've suggested.    There's no need to have them run more than once every so often really.

astor
Contributor II
Message 15 of 23

If I ever happen to remove the pre-installed McAfee SecurityCenter package from my DELL PC and re-install it from the download site accessed via My Account, will it be the DELL version or a "pure" McAfee version of the package?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 23

If it's from your Dell McAfeee account - the one where the current installation is activated from then yes it would be the same as it is now.

cindyfh
Former Member
Message 17 of 23

I've had McAfee for probably 11 years and have always recommended it above anything else, but I've had so much trouble with the current version that I'm seriously thinking of going to Norton instead.  I'm sick and tied of it deciding to start a scan apparently whenever it just happens to feel like it.  Oh it will also scan according to the schedual I've set up (finally!--well at least it's the right day and somewhere in the vicinity of the right time) but that does't stop it from scanning whenever else it wants to.  Nor does it follow the settings I've got for other things such quick clean and I'm sick of getting up in the morning only to discover that all my cookies are gone yet again.  It's really aggravating and I'm very disappointed in McAfee.  I don't mind a few bugs or probelms and expect them in any product, but this is rediculous and has gone on way too long already!  I just got a laptop and it never would have occurred to me to do anything other then get a liscense to run McAfee on that as well before now.  But now I have Norton running on it and haven't had a single problem with it.  If at the end of next month I'm still having these problems with McAfee and Norton is doing a good job on my other computer, I'll be switching all my computers to Norton and changing my advice to others on my board as well.  McAfee was an excellent product, it's a shame they let this happen, not to mention the "attack detection settings" which should have been updated long ago etc.  Sorry to sound so negative, it's not my habit at all, but I really needed to get this out of my system.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 18 of 23

Hi cindyfh,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here , but this is not an expected result. Im pretty much sure that there should be conflict that causes this issue . Please let us know if you are interested to diagnose this issue where inn I can call you back and find out more about this problem in your PC.

Thanks,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 23

cindyfh wrote:

I've had McAfee for probably 11 years and have always recommended it above anything else, but I've had so much trouble with the current version that I'm seriously thinking of going to Norton instead.  I'm sick and tied of it deciding to start a scan apparently whenever it just happens to feel like it.  Oh it will also scan according to the schedual I've set up (finally!--well at least it's the right day and somewhere in the vicinity of the right time) but that does't stop it from scanning whenever else it wants to.  Nor does it follow the settings I've got for other things such quick clean and I'm sick of getting up in the morning only to discover that all my cookies are gone yet again.  It's really aggravating and I'm very disappointed in McAfee.  I don't mind a few bugs or probelms and expect them in any product, but this is rediculous and has gone on way too long already!  I just got a laptop and it never would have occurred to me to do anything other then get a liscense to run McAfee on that as well before now.  But now I have Norton running on it and haven't had a single problem with it.  If at the end of next month I'm still having these problems with McAfee and Norton is doing a good job on my other computer, I'll be switching all my computers to Norton and changing my advice to others on my board as well.  McAfee was an excellent product, it's a shame they let this happen, not to mention the "attack detection settings" which should have been updated long ago etc.  Sorry to sound so negative, it's not my habit at all, but I really needed to get this out of my system.

The scan timing is under investigation but you can easily stop VirusScan deleting cookies by opening SecurityCenter

Dismiss any warnings that may be showing

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings

Uncheck Tracking Cookies and click Apply

Also if Quickclean is on a schedule open it and uncheck the cookies setting in that too.

ScottA
Contributor
Message 20 of 23

I am another longtime user that is getting more and more frustrated with McAfee.  Problems seem to be occuring where there were none.   Random scheduled scanning and cookie deletion to name two of the most annoying.  I will try the cookie fix just recommended by Peter.

I have my scheduled scanning set to scan 1 hard drive at 2:15am Saturday morning.  I set it to just one hard drive because I would often come in Sunday night and discover it scanning and it would say something like 32% complete and it would seem to take forever just to get to 34%.  I assumed it may have been scanning  for over 36 hrs.  However this morning I checked my computer at 10:15 AM on Saturday November 26th, 2011 and was surprised to not see it scanning at all.  I then checked the Scheduled Scanning tab and was even more surprised to see the following message "Next   scheduled scan:  Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:52 AM" .  Yes  I checked my clock and date to make sure they were set correctly and they are.

McAfee ver 11.0 Build 11.0.623  running on an XP Pro Media Edition.

Scott A

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community