Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicola
Former Member
Message 71 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

I'm having the same issue! 

I did a system reboot last night (15/05/11) and when the computer came back on after its restart McAfee Total Protection told me that my "computer is at risk" because real-time scanning was switched off. I pressed 'turn on' and it told me that my computer was secure but it went back to being 'at risk' after just a couple of seconds. I have done this several times but with no change.

Reading everyone's posts I have installed McAfee Virtual Technician which identifies the problem, "fixes" it, restarts the computer but this does not actually fix the issue.

I then did as the McAfee advisor suggested and checked that all of my McAfee programs were set to 'start' and 'automatic'. All of these are now set as they should be (apart from McShield which says it cannot find the file specified - Not sure if this is relevant to the real-time scanning issues but perhaps another query in itself?) Hoping this would work, I restarted my computer but the problem was still not fixed.

I have checked McAfee for updates as this has also been suggested as a fix and although McAfee Total Protection has apparently updated the problem still exists!
I have been on the FAQ (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100903) and I have attempted step 3 however the link to run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility does not appear to be working? Is this just my issue or is this happening for everyone else?

I don't have any other anti-virus software apart from Spybot Search & Repair but this was not on the list as something that may be interfering with McAfee? I have run Spybot a couple of times & there are no issues now that need to be fixed.

I'm a bit concerned about uninstalling and reinstalling my McAfee software as I can't remember if it came with the computer when I bought it & heard that uninstalling may not allow me to reinstall? Hopefully I can go through my emails to find out if I bought it myself etc.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61 and have Windows Vista Home Premium. I have had the laptop for almost two years.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions!
Thanks!

defpotec
Former Member
Message 72 of 150

How long has this been an issue?

For me, It's the real-time scanning and the firewall that are off. I click Fix Now and it flashes green for just a fraction of a second, then back to red. I first noticed I had a problem while playing a game the other night. I was lagging and I saw that McAfee was trying to do something. I assumed it was trying to do a scan so I went to cancel the scan until after I was done playing. When I hovered over the task tray icon it said it was updating. after several minutes I checked again and it still said it was updating and it was at 0% progress. I closed all other programs and it still wouldn't go. I shut it down and went to sleep.

Next day I start up and it says I'm not protected. Going to Help only tells me to click "Fix Now" and of course "learn more" just sends to the splash page trying to sell you McAfee.

That is the most frustrating thing about McAfee. When you need assistance with the McAfee product for which you already pay a subscription, it sends you to a page that tries to sell you product. And that paage has no apparent way of navigating to any sort of help page. Then once you are able to find McAfee's home page with the help of google, and you go to the support page, you see more dollar signs. I was scared to hit the "get support button!" They have my card info. I must say, I find it very disconcerting that the first thing I see when I get to this support page is "McAfee Virus Removal Service - $89.95"

So I may need to pay for a service that will fix what the service for which I already pay failed to prevent?

Thanks to reading posts in this forum, I've discovered Stinger, Malwarebytes, the virtual technician and a few hints as to what to do. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. McAfee will not perform a scan. Nothing happens when I tell it to scan. Not even in safe mode by right-clicking on Computer and selecting scan. The Free Scan download does nothing either. The Virtual Technician runs, updates and then tells me it can't find any McAfee programs on my computer. Fearing a bug/virus, I downloaded and ran Stinger and then Malwarebytes. Both came up with 0. The oas-disabled link would not work for me yesterday, so feeling out of options, I performed a system restore back 3 weeks. Did not help.

Haven't heard back from support yet, though it was a weekend. Just downloaded the .cmd on a second computer. I'm going to usb it over to the laptop that's causing me problems.

fingers crossed...

Rod_Neep
Contributor
Message 73 of 150

1. It has been an issue for a LONG LONG TIME

2. You don't have a virus. The McAfee message ITSELF is the error.

3. McAfee will do NOTHING about it. Support make nice noises and offer support, even a personal contact... but then don't respond.

4. Some of the suggested cures work for some of the people, some of the time. But for most the suggested cures don't work. I tried ALL of them.

5. What worked for me.

I uninstalled PC Tools Spyware Protection.

Rebooted.

Never a problem since.

6. The problem IS caused by other software conflicting with McAfee. (But the problem is the error message itself. Nothing is actually wrong with your computer).

Rod

Message was edited by: Rod_Neep on 16/05/11 09:23:16 CDT
defpotec
Former Member
Message 74 of 150

Thanks for the response. 

Who thought it was a great idea to send people, who want to fix their McAfee issues, to a page to buy McAfee product that they already own, instead of to a support or help page? And is that person still employed by McAfee?

I think I'll be looking elsewhere when it's time to renew. I'm not an IT expert, but I'm not computer illiterate either. It's way too difficult for people to try to troubleshoot their issues. I wonder if this is intentional to get people to pay extra for their support services.

A couple of years ago I saw a commercial for McAfee and I remembered that I needed to renew my subscription. So I called McAfee and had my pronunciation of "McAfee" non-politely corrected, even though I pronounced it the same way it was said in the commercial that I watched 15 minutes prior. I should have taken that as a sign. If McAfee can't get their support service in order, then I'll find someone who can.

-

My computer actually acknowledges that McAfee is installed, so I decided to try the virtual technician again. My system restore (or perhaps the .cmd) removed it from my computer. So I go back to McAfee's website and search for "virtual technician" - 0 results. Thank you McAfee for being so helpful!

Interesting business model, having a community forum serve as your help/troubleshoot...

Message was edited by: defpotec on 5/16/11 10:05:09 AM CDT
Rod_Neep
Contributor
Message 75 of 150

Yup. Not very clever...

"Click Here to Fix This Problem"

Takes you to a page inviting you to buy a bigger better model of what you already have!

If is offensive.

And that upgrade doesn't work to cure the problem either!

Neither does Vurtual Technician.

Rod

Message was edited by: Rod_Neep on 16/05/11 10:09:39 CDT

Message was edited by: Rod_Neep on 16/05/11 10:10:40 CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 76 of 150

This problem can have many causes. Each system needs to be considered as unique, since the hardware/software configuration on each will be different. So, what works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

A couple of points : first, this is an old thread. So, yes, this is a recurring problem. But with different causes. Second, there are three people posting on the subject, which can get confusing.

So :

Rod_neep, you've made a good point about one of the causes being a software conflict. But it's not safe to say that Nicola and defpotec don't have an infection of some kind. Maybe that's the case, maybe not.

Nicola :

- mcshield is the Security Center. If there's a file missing there, or corrupted in some way, McAfee won't run properly if at all.

- the document you referred to (TS100903) is currently unavailable and it may be in the process of being updated. It should be back soon.

- the link to oas-disabled-fix.cmd is from an old post, and that utility may have been withdrawn or superseded.

- Running SpyBot on demand is okay, but if you run it in real-time (all the time) the TeaTimer component clashes horribly with McAfee (I know, I tried it).

- If you do need to uninstall and re-install one of the other mods will talk you through it : that area isn't one of my specialities, I'm afraid.

- if you have the latest McAfee updates, fine, but check also that you're up to date with everything else (Vista SP1/Java, if you have it/Flash/Adobe...)

- MVT. Hmm. If it 'fixes' but doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to look at the logs. When you run it there's an option to save and/or view diagnostics logs. Can you re-run MVT and save the logs, so that if necessary we can skim through them?

defpotec :

- your problem first occurred while you were online gaming. That's a possible indicator of a malware infection. It may be that something is blocking or interfering with the download. some of the recent downloads have been updates not just to the DAT but to McAfee components.

- if MVT says it can't find McAfee on your system that may be because your copy came not from McAfee but from a third party supplier (Dell, AOL, your ISP....there are many). You'll need to tell us your AFFid Code, which is in Security Centre-->Navigation-->About.

- we'll also need to know what your OS is, and what version of McAfee you've got

That's a start. I'll see whether I can help.

Peacekeeper
Message 77 of 150

All please manually check for updates does that help? This started last friday and is being looked at.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/05/11 6:09:15 AM
newjack
Former Member
Message 78 of 150

I have not had this problem in a while now.But I do generally have a problem with the updates.Because I shut down my computer after using it.It never seems to stay at the magical below 10% cpu for 10 minutes while in use.When I manually update it does seem to take forever to update.Although,oddly enough I found while still at this site I right clicked the Mcafee icon in the taskbar.Clicked on check for updates from taskbar icon.The download finished extremly fast.Go figure.

toots3896
Former Member
Message 79 of 150

This is the second time I have been having trouble the real time scannng, it keeps turning off. Every time there is an update, this is what happens. So if anyone out there has any advice, please tell.

Peacekeeper
Message 80 of 150

I suppose the first thing the techs would ask is have you another scanner installed? The second is try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Those are the 1st thoughts if MVT did not find anything.

MVT

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Uninstall tool

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall from your account as see if that fixes it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community