cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astor
Contributor II
Message 101 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

Interesting report ccrider.11.  I have a similar experience with my old Windows XP PC.  The problem occurs about 50% of the time after shutting down Windows and turning off my PC then turning it back on a day or so later.  I believe the cause was different though.   I couldn't browse to any site yet the network icon was saying it was connected to the Internet.  I could also ping sites using only ip-addresses (at least those that allow ping)  yet nslookup was resolving DNS names fine.  A simple restart (without turning off) fixed the issue every time.  So, it may have been due to some DNS issue or how DHCP worked, or my network card is a bit flaky.  I never really tried to track down the problem.

Message was edited by: astor on 17/09/11 4:23:00 PM
jmatteucci
Former Member
Message 102 of 150

I have the same problem on my laptop and tablet.  I run windows 7 64 bit on by laptop and windows 7 32 bit on the tablet.  No other protection installed.  I've run Mcafree virtual assistant with no luck.

snehavenu
Contributor
Message 103 of 150

Hi jmatteucci,

I also had the same issue with my McAfee product. I tried to turn on Real Time Scan and it keeps turning off again and again. I searched in Google and tried the FAQ, link is http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101225. As you have already tried Virtual Technician and got no result, you may save and run OAS tool. Windows Vista and 7 users should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run as Administrator. Please restart the computer and check the issue. The issue persisted when I tried and I tried the last step which is Uninstall and reinstall McAfee, which worked for me. Try the FAQ http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507 to reinstall McAfee.

Prerequisites to try steps above:

1) ensure that you do not have any other security products installed on your computer- resoulution: remove other security products and check the status or try the steps after removal

2) RTS will be disabled if you are getting any virus pop ups- resoulution: remove virus and check status of McAfee or try the steps after removal

If you have done a System restore due to infections, keep in mind that it will not remove any infections. A system restore bring backs computer settings to a previous date and thus it can remove the changes done by infection. However, the infections will remain there.

Real Time Scan disabled issue caused after a system restore can be resolved ny just an update of McAfee or running MVT and an update after that..

Thanks,

Sneha Venu

jazzcat
Former Member
Message 104 of 150

I had the same problem of real time scanning turning itself off.  I installed the Mcafee virtual technician (MVT) and let it scan the products installed on my comp.  It fixed all but one, saying it was a missing file.  I restarted the comp., and after about a minute, the real-time scanning shut off again.  So I ran MVT again and restarted the comp., again.  MVT said it fixed the real time scanning , but that I had a missing file.  So far, the real time scanning is still fixed, and has not shut off again yet (it's been about a half hour).  I still don't know what file is missing or how to fix it.  Will report back if real time scanning shuts off again.

jazzcat
Former Member
Message 105 of 150

ok, after about an hour and half, the real time scanning turned off.  So MVT does not work.  And I tried step 4 and can't figure out how to download it, so count that out.  I refuse to uninstall and reinstall my Mcafee, because I feel it won't work.  I've had enough, and I am changing products.  Mcafee seems not to want to fix this, since it probably was their fault.  Very unhappy.

BTW, I have Windows Vista.

Message was edited by: jazzcat on 9/23/11 12:13:08 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 106 of 150

Right clink the step 4 link and choose save link as. save it to desktop and go there and rename the file. ie remove the txt extension the save link action put on it. Right click and run as admin. See if that assists.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/10/11 6:53:06 AM
jazzcat
Former Member
Message 107 of 150

Ok, I right clicked on the link, saved as, and saved it ro my comp.  Now when I right click on it, and run as admin., it has a black box come up that says a bunch of stuff, and it does nothing.  What am I doing wrong?

vranaivo
Former Member
Message 108 of 150

Hi,

I m going through the same troubles and  I don't want to re-install mcAfee because I feel like it won't work as well....

Though, I found what file is missing! it is :

C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\McShield.exe

So the McShield service won't start because it can't find the right file in this directory...

Where can I find a version of this file?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 109 of 150

Hi jazzcat,

Would you be interested in  a call back from us so as to check you issue and get it fixed for you . I have sent you an email requesting more information on the same . Please have it replied so that  we can proceed further with it.

Thanks ,

vranaivo
Former Member
Message 110 of 150

Hi again everyone,

My problem was solved with a re-installation of the product and with the useful help of Dinesh.

Initial problem was I couldn't start real time scan. I used MVT , found 3 problems :

1/ outdated DAT (expected 6484, 6459), 2/ a windows service can not be started (McShield) and 3/ Realtime scanning off.

I looked for updates and that resolved the first issues (DAT version). But then the two others remained.

After checking windows services, I found that McShield.exe was removed from its directory (C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan) so service could not start.

Dinz helped me from here : he run a check disk, which was ok. then tried to use the OAS tool but didn't work.Finally re-installed McAfee.

After a reboot of my system, everything is ok, realtime scan is enabled!

Thanks again Dinesh.

Version of VirusScan - McAfee Antivirus Plus before re-installation : 14.5.130

Version of VirusScan - McAfee Antivirus Plus after re-installation : 15.0.291

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community