Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephenrbp
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

Real Time Scanning Disabled

Jump to solution

Every time I turn the PC on I am getting 'real time scanning disabled'. I enable it and it reverts within 5 seconds. I can not find the reason. I have tried initiating a chat with a technician, but when I get to the 'chat' button it takes me back to the support home page, so I am hoping someone here can point me

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sree
Contributor II
Message 4 of 19

Re: Real Time Scanning Disabled

Jump to solution

Please restart your computer and check the status stephen . As you told that you used adaware and Iobit check for the traces of these files in the below mentioned locations

For Windows vista\windows 7 :

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files\Common Files

C:\ProgramData

For Windows XP:

C:\documents& settings\all users\application data

Also delete folder with the name lavasoft which is related to adaware,

If these steps dint work follow the below mentioned step:

Download and run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility

1. Download and save the utility from the link below to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-fix.cmd

2. Double-click the oas-disabled-fix.cmd tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run as Administrator.

If you receive the error StopService: Unable to open service McShield via SCM (5), press  CTRL+C to terminate the process.  You will be prompted to terminate the batch job. Type Y and press ENTER. Run the oas-disabled-fix utility again.

3. Restart your computer and ensure that McAfee Security Center shows that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Sree
Contributor II
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi stephen,

Do you use any other antivirus softwares in your computer if so you have to uninstall that and restart the computer.

If it doesn`t works then you can try the below mentioned step

1. Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-clickservices.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.
  2. Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and clickStart.
  3. When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
  4. Open McAfee SecurityCenter and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
  5. Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled.
stephenrbp
Former Member
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

The service was already started. I haven't restarted my PC yet. I am not running any other virus protection. Although I have had Adaware and Iobit software running, they are now deleted.

The problem seems to have gone away now since I manually ran update, but it has kept coming back every day.

Sree
Contributor II
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

Please restart your computer and check the status stephen . As you told that you used adaware and Iobit check for the traces of these files in the below mentioned locations

For Windows vista\windows 7 :

C:\ProgramData

For Windows XP:

C:\documents& settings\all users\application data

Also delete folder with the name lavasoft which is related to adaware,

If these steps dint work follow the below mentioned step:

1. Download and save the utility from the link below to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-fix.cmd

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run as Administrator.

If you receive the error StopService: Unable to open service McShield via SCM (5), press  CTRL+C to terminate the process.  You will be prompted to terminate the batch job. Type Y and press ENTER. Run the oas-disabled-fix utility again.

3. Restart your computer and ensure that McAfee Security Center shows that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.

stephenrbp
Former Member
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

I have restarted it and it seems ok, but I will have to see what happens tomorrow!!!

Thanks

Sree
Contributor II
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

Welcome ,Stephen keep posting if you have any more issues.

virushater
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem and very frustrated. When I download the tool and run it I just get the cmd black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing else - is it supposed to do something?  I cannot even manually run a scan - it stops mid scan and will not continue.

Sree
Contributor II
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi virushater actually when you run this tool nothing will happen a black window should come and disappear. If you still have the same problem may i know the type of operating system you have.Also i want to know whether you are already getting any spyware alerts.open internet explorer click help->About internet explorer and check the version and cipher strength and reply. Thanks

virushater
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

Looks like I resolved this finally.  What I did was turn off Mcaffee - or should I say - I let Mcafee stay off since it turned itself off. I completely uninstalled internet explorer.  Then I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware again - ran it and it found 53 issues which it removed.  I then was able to finally run my Macafee manual scan which then found 1 issue and removed it.  Now all is well.  Looks like Mcafee didnt detect these viruses and you need a malware or spyware software to get rid of whatever is causing this.

Figured I would offer this up to see if it works for anyone - beats paying a hefty fee to Mcafee to remove the virus

Elurion
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

Try this on safe mode

1. Download  and save the utility from the link below to your desktop:

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users  should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run  as Administrator.

If you receive the error StopService:  Unable to open service McShield via SCM (5), press  CTRL+C to terminate the process.  You will be prompted to terminate the batch  job. Type Y and press ENTER. Run the  oas-disabled-fix utility again.

3. Restart your computer  and ensure that McAfee Security Center shows that Real-Time Scanning is  enabled.

If dont work uninstall McAfee with MCPR and then in safe mode use Malwarebytes and then install again on safe mode and try the procedure.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community