cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
achristropher
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Randomly Stops Protecting My Computer

I'm having the same problem, only it happens to my computer 2 or 3 times a day. Can anyone help?

Moved from an existing old thread in 2008 products to 2009 as more likely to be correct spot - Moderator

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/09 7:25 AM
12 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: Randomly Stops Protecting My Computer

Hi,
Please provide some information about your computer , like what is the operating system (Windows Xp/Vista)?
What type of internet connection? (Dsl/Wireless)
Have you installed any other third party security softwares in the computer?

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

mvw684
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Hello,

I'm having exactly the same issue multiple times per day McAfee reports that it is no longe protecting my system.

I tried running virtual technician however that one could NOT even find my products.

When ran from the website, I sometimes get some session id however there is no possibility,

at least in the dutch site to continue to support mail or chat.

Possibly because that virtual technician failed.

I'm using Vista ultimate (use english version) with latest service pack/updates.

I obviously have also tried reinstallang various cleanup utils like MCPR2, MCPR and the McPreInstall

all to no avail.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Hi mvw684,

There are several instances where security center reports that the Your computer is not fully protected like conflicts with other security software,malware issue, incorrect start type of services ? Could you please provide the exact message displayed under the Fix button in security center.

Also let me know what is the type of internet connection you use ? (Dsl / wireless)

Regards,

Dinesh K

mvw684
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Hello,

Only other tool I've running is Microsoft defender, daily scan, even with defender disabled same issues.

Attached screenshot of popupmessage & securitycenter.

My Computer is (all wired) connected to a switch which is connected to router, connected to a glasfiber internet connection.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Ok,

This particular error message could happen if the computer has any malware infections or conflicts with some other security software remnant.

Follow these steps to diagnose the problem.

1. Check and delete if you have any other antivirus software installed in add/remove programs and C:/program files and common files.
2. Click start – run then type services.msc, In the window that opens up check whether the start up type for all the McAfee programs are in started and automatic. If not click on the particular service and change it to automatic .
Click on the recovery tab (at the top) and select all three failures to be restart the service
Click on OK .
Close all open programs and restart the computer .
3. Click update in security center and check the status.

Regards,
Dinesh K

mvw684
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Hello,

Tried your suggestions, one issue there, for "McAfee Real-time Scanner",  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe

all tabs in services.msc stay disabled, that is also the one not running when the message occurs.

Was able to set the recovery options via regedt32.

See whether it stays runing now.

newjack
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

I have the same problem.Every day when i log on MY e-mail &im section is yellow?This has been going on for over a week.Is it all services Dinz?My scanner is on manual and system gaurds manual- started.

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/2/10 4:26:15 PM CST
mvw684
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Setting the recovery options via regedt32 did not help, all settings of

"McAfee Real-time Scanner",  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe are set back after some time, the service tabs stay disabled for this one.

Each time I get the warning this service is stopped.

mvw684
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

A next finding,

In my eventlogs I find following: (getPlusHelper is some download helper from adobe..

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 3032 (0xbd8)

Thread address : 0x775A5E74

Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll

by C:\Windows\system32\services.exe

4(0)(0)

4(0)(0)

7200(0)(0)

7595(0)(0)

7005(0)(0)

7004(0)(0)

5006(0)(0)

5004(0)(0)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community