cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsg
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

REAL TIME Scanning is a resource hog

It seems that Real Time Scanning hogs my computer resources after several hours of operation to the point of making the computer useless for any other tasking...it slows to a crawl!  I need to restart the computer to successfully use it again.  So I have discovered that I have to disable this feature to actually use the computer for some real work.  Does anybody else have this problem and/or know when it will be fixed?  The constant nagging that my computer is at risk because real time scanning is not enabled is annoying, as well.

My system seemed to work OK until the software was upgraded on or about 7/20/10.  At that time, a new user interface was displayed and things went down hill.  If anyone has successfully contacted McAfee technical support and gotten an answer to this question please advise...

1 Reply
mckennat
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: REAL TIME Scanning is a resource hog

If you are referring to the scheduled scans under Real Time scanning, go to the Scheduled Scan Settings and see if the first box titled Scan Using Minimal Resources is checked.  If so, you may want to uncheck this and try another scheduled scan.

My scheduled scans were taking about 5 hours and this fixed it for me and put it back in the 1 hour range.  This may have a performance impact if you are using your system while the scan runs.  With mine, it was noticeable but still very useable.

Terry

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community