cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfeeATT
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Quickclean on AT&T McAfee

I am not sure if this is the right forum I should be posting this.

How do I get rid of quickclean/shredder off this bundled ATT McAfee. It's been the culprit in deleting important word, pdf, excel files on my "my documents" folder.

If I can't, how do I COMPLETELY delete McAfee off my system?

Thanks.
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: Quickclean on AT&T McAfee

The default settings shouldn't be cleaning anything untoward in the manner you've described. The default settings are as shown in the attached thumbnail.

However, you can disable the task.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Tools (left)
Click Start under the Task Scheduler section at the lower right
Delete the task there.

You can alter the Quickclean settings also by clicking the Start button in the Quickclean section at the top.

If you want to remove McAfee altogether then follow these instructions.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel". (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista).

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool).
McAfeeATT
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I deleted the task. Here's a screen shot on mine for the same screen you attached. I can't seem to generate that same screen you have for me to change my settings. I think what happened was that I was prompted to delete after my scan and accepted it with haste not knowing or realizing what was being deleted. I was thinking it was just like a windows disk cleanup. It should not have included those files to begin with... those are files within "my documents" folder and it does not have any business snooping around within that folder. Wouldn't you agree?

[/IMG]
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

You have to be signed in as an Administrator level account I believe and then those Start buttons you see there should produce the extra screen.

If it doesn't happen then maybe you should contact Technical Support.
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

hi,

the QuickClean only deletes files in the Temporary Internet Files folder, Recycle Bin, Outlook Sent items, Outlook Recycle Bin, etc. It won't delete files/folders in My Documents unless specified by the user (using the McAfee Shredder).

also, in order to get to the screen (Ex_Brit's screenshot), you must click on Maintain Computer on the left hand part.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community