cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinKitts
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Questions about Total Protection 2009...

1. How do I permanently remove the SiteAdvisor toolbar from IE7 without going into Tools/Internet Options/Advanced Tab and unchecking "Enable Third-Party Browser Extensions"?

When I uncheck the toolbar in IE7 in View/Toolbars, it goes away, but as soon as I open another tab or browser window, it comes back...my choice is not retained. It takes up valuable screen real estate and I want it gone. However, I don't know if I'm going to kill other plugins (like flash, etc) if I leave that box unchecked. There should be a toggle in the McAfee main program for stuff like this (without having to do blanket rejections of extensions or potentially system-lethal registry hacks).

2. I used to use Norton Internet Security Suite, and I play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. In Norton 2008, all I had to do to let ETQW through the firewall is to give etqw.exe full access to the internet. In McAfee 2009, I gave etqw.exe full access, and it still couldn't contact the update server. So, I turned off the McAfee firewall, and lo and behold, it could reach the update server. So, I granted all of the ETQW executables full access and turned on the firewall again. Still not able to connect to the update server...turn off the firewall again, and they can reach the server. Why is the firewall blocking the connection despite my giving it full access, and how can I tell the McAfee firewall to let the communications through? This will be a big problem for sites that require you to do online updates (rather than download standalone patches).

Thanks in advance,

KK
8 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

hi...

if you would like to permanently remove siteadvisor please go to control panel, add or remove programs and look for security center in the programs list... click change or remove (uninstall) and then in the uninstall window for mcafee security center put a check on siteadvisor only and proceed with the usual unisntall process... mcafee siteadvisor should be permanently removed from your system

regarding the firewall... total protections firewall securty is by default set to trusting with only outbound access... please try reconfiguring your firewall security to allow full access by doing the following...
1. open mcafee security center
2. click on internet and network then configure
3. under firewall protection is enabled click advanced
4. in the next window put a radio button on allow full access for the firewall's security level

hope this helps...
KevinKitts
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Please re-read my post...

:mad::mad:

If you're a bot of some kind, ZIP IT. I don't like bots answering my posts. Reading responses from programs (not humans) that:

a) don't actually read the entire post, and

b) tell me to do things I've already done that I said I did in my original post

make me want to sue somebody (just so I can get an intelligent human being to talk to that understands more than keywords). I want solutions I ***haven't tried already***.

If you're a human (and not a bot), learn to READ THE ENTIRE POST before responding.

Either way, I don't want to hear any more from you - I want your supervisor, or someone of higher expertise than yours, to discuss and fix my issue.

:mad::mad:

That having been said, please RE-READ my original post, AND my comments on your reply below before you forward my issue to your supervisor.

1. McAfee ***Total Protection 2009*** does not have SiteAdvisor as a separate program, and therefore cannot be uninstalled through Add/Remove Programs. It is embedded into McAfee, and also into Internet Explorer 7, and there are no toggle switches in the main McAfee programs anywhere to remove it or disable it. Trying to disable the IE7 extension without unchecking the checkbox I mentioned in the original post is impossible unless there is something I missed completely, or unless McAfee has a custom remedy available. I want to know what I missed, or what remedy McAfee has available. I don't like to think that by unchecking that checkbox I've disabled something important...unless you can tell me for a fact that unchecking that checkbox cannot possibly disable anything important (which I would find hard to believe without a very thorough explanation).

2. Concerning making all of my programs full-access: I already have done that, and it had no effect (and neither did making all of the executables full access, either - which, by the way, does the same thing as what you suggested). I did everything I could do, and my programs are still being blocked. Without a more robust firewall report log or report window, I can't tell for myself what's being blocked, nor why. Therefore, I am asking McAfee to kindly tell me what to do to remedy the situation, or to fix it for me.

And to whoever runs this site, if you have bots on here, GET RID OF THEM. They do nothing but frustrate experienced users like me. And yes, Norton uses them too, which is part of the reason I got rid of their product (crappy support). Would you like to be lumped (unfavorably) along with them? I thought not.

Really, REALLY angry,

KK
KevinKitts
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Okay...

1. When I go to uninstall the SiteAdvisor chunk of the program (by unchecking the box), the box called "Security Center" also gets unchecked and greyed-out, which indicates that it will be removed as well. Since Total Protection 2009 is called "Security Center" on the taskbar, the Start Menu, AND in the Add/Remove Programs list, I can only take that to mean that if I uninstall SiteAdvisor, I have to uninstall all of McAfee Total Protection 2009, which is why I posted my message in the first place (to avoid uninstalling the whole program and trying to find yet another competitor's program to replace McAfee's...I've already went through Norton and BitDefender, and I'm tired of wasting my money). All I want is toggle switches for this kind of stuff. I want to customize my installation without potentially damaging other programs.

2. If you read my post, you know I've already tried that (by making all of the programs Full Access individually). But just so you know, I tried the global full-access option before I made my first post, and it didn't work either (which is why I took the time to make all of ETQW's exe files full access in the first place). I want to know why my programs are still being blocked. Please re-read my original post for details.

KK
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

apology...

sorry to be of such a bother to you... i'll ask assistance from other volunteers in resolving your issue... just to let you know i am not a bot and simply a volunteer here... and sorry i don't have a supervisor i too am a volunteer but rest assured we have moderators who manage what we post...

anyways, please sit tight as other experts (unlike me) would be able to help out... happy holidays and best of luck to you sir!
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

RE: Okay...

hi,

have you tried using the Manage Add-ons option in IE7?

try this:

- Open IE, then click on Tools, then click on Manage Add-ons, then choose Enable or Disable Add-ons
- on the drop down box, choose "Add-ons loaded to IE"
- locate all McAfee SiteAdvisor objects, then click on Disable on the lower part
- restart IE

for your online game, is it possible that you get what port number ETQW use to connect to its update servers? if you found the port numbers, you can add those in the System Services area of the McAfee Security Center.

hope it helps...
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

RE: Okay...

if you want it uninstalled do not uncheck it... because if you uncheck it it won't be uninstalled... as mentioned in my post you have to make sure that that chunk of program needs to be checked...

i think earthdragunz' suggestion is better... try it out... grin
KevinKitts
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Got it...

Thank you very much. The IE7 suggestion worked with no problems (and I'll remember that this functionality exists for other programs that add stuff to IE as well). As for ETQW's server port #, I'll have to go digging for it because the update interface is part of the game (similar to publisher Stardock's update mechanism). I know it's not in the manual, though...I looked.

Thanks again,

KK
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

RE: Got it...

Glad to help.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community