cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkshirelass
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Quarantine/empty or not ?

If McAfee finds a trojan or similar and quarantines it, should I leave it in Quarantine or empty the quarantine folder? I had a trojan that Threatfire found and killed before it got any further and then McAfee found one during a scan and quarantined it. I'm a bit worried if I empty the quarantine folder, the trojan will be let loose on my computer!! Sorry if this sounds a bit silly, but it's the first time I have ever had a trojan or virus etc on my computer and I'm not sure how to manage them. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tags (4)
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

RE: Quarantine/empty or not ?

I would delete whatever is in there, unless of course it's something that shouldn't have been detected in which case there are ways and means of submitting it for testing.

Deleting/removing makes sense if only to free up disc space.
yorkshirelass
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for replying so quickly; that's put my mind at rest. Do you think the same applies to Threatfire?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

No idea but I would imagine the principle would apply to anything that quarantines.

I trust that Threatfire and VirusScan aren't installed side-by-side as they surely will clash with each other possibly endangering your machine.
yorkshirelass
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Oh dear, yes I have Threatfire and McAfee total security installed together on this Vista home premium OS. It was installed for me by a computer techie who said that they worked well together.
yorkshirelass
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

I also have Windows Defender enabled on his advice.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

As VirusScan and Threatfire are both anti-virus applications you are going to have to choose between one or the other.

The rule of thumb is only 1 each of anti-virus, firewall, anti-phishing filter and pop-up blocker, as duplicates tend to fight with each other and actually reduce your protection.

You can have several anti-spyware applications installed however, as long as none of them have any kind of built-in protection turned on, such as the "Teatimer" in Spybot for instance.

We recommend the free ones listed in the first part of this thread: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913

Windows Defender is OK - I use it too.
yorkshirelass
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Thank you Peter, I will uninstall Threatfire and rely on McAfee and Windows Defender. Many thanks for your help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

SuperAntiSpyware (free version) is an excellent anti-spyware application and you might be well advised to keep it on hand too. Keep it updated of course.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
yorkshirelass
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

I have now downloaded and installed superanti-spyware and done a scan. Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help me. It's much appreciated.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community