Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djr
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Quarantine & Trusted Items

Jump to solution

I noticed cookies are being kept in 'quarantine potentially unwanted programs'.

It appears they are all tracking cookies captured by McAfee during scans.

Should I just select & delete all to keep them from accumulating?

djr.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Re: Quarantine & Trusted Items

Jump to solution

Yes you'd have to delete them from the quarantine folders or else they would become too numerous.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

You should be posting under SecurityCenter 2010 as the PC Optimization section is basically for obsolete applications.  So I moved it.

You can tell SecurityCenter not to delete tracking cookies as many are necessary for websites to remember you.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning and uncheck that, click Apply.

Then if you wish you can restore those items from the Quarantined section.

djr
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for pointing out! I guess I could do that and then use 'SuperAntispyware' to delete them off if I want.

However, if I want to delete quarantined cookies I would still need to delete them from 'quarantine potentially unwanted programs'. Just 'select all' then 'delete'. Correct?

If you don't uncheck cookies f/scans they will continue to be scanned and accumulate in this quarantine folder after each scan.  So eventually you will need to delete them from the quarantine folder. Right!

I see now where Peacekeepers idea about having an 'auto delete quarantine files after 30 days' feature would be nice.

I'm just considering my options and want to confirm my thoughts.

djr.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Yes you'd have to delete them from the quarantine folders or else they would become too numerous.

djr
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Thank you!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

I should add that sometimes, when the number of items in the quarantine folders is very high, the interface may freeze when trying to delete the contents.

If you have that problem post back and I'll post the procedure to manually delete them from within Windows Explorer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community