cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 21 of 61

this is getting to be like "my ipod is frozen, won't unlock"

Lots of people with the same problem, McAfee protection turning itself off, and/or constantly having to re-verify subscription. As with the Apple forum, no one knows why, no one offers a solution, except for reinstall (the equivalent to Apples' "5 r's" retry, reboot, restore and whatever). The only replies are lots of "me too's". But if that one solution doesn't work, learn to live with it. Now I know Apple just wants to sell more ipods, so it's in their best interests to make a fragile product and offer no product support. But how would the same mindset profit an internet security program? It's not as if the user would go purchase the same product again. McAfee live help is not helpful. I guess that, inless they fix this, people will stand it about as much as they (and their finances) can, then go malware protection shopping. As for myself, I've been looking at returning to Norton, or checking out Lavasofts' new all in 1 program. It's just a shame and a puzzlement that it should come to this.
mainegal
Contributor
Message 22 of 61

RE: this is getting to be like "my ipod is frozen, won't unlock"

I get the error everytime I turn my pc on. Your computer is not fully protected. I have to run fix to fix then then it seems to be fine. Why all of a sudden am I getting this?
Security Center version 9.3
Virus Scan
Version 13.3
Build 13.3.127

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to run the vitual technician or whatever it's called and it says it can't be found. My updates are taking hrs now to run., It slows the whole system done. Thinking of cancelling and going to a different one as this is getting to be such a pain to deal with every time I turn my pc on
greengiant
Former Member
Message 23 of 61

Same here

:confused:

Bought the retail 3 license version. This is happening on my own computer, haven't checked the other two lately.

McAfee updates are running fine. Running build 9.3.151 on XP SP3 with the latest patches.

I see this error in the event log as well:
A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 1368 (0x558)
Thread address : 0x7C90E4F4
Thread message :

Funny, picked McAfee after using Norton for the last few years because it works fine in our Enterprise environment at work.

Considering how many threads there are (for v9 and v8), it looks like McAfee will be losing some customers.

If there is no clear resolution soon (and ain't wasting 20 mins re-installing), I'm heading back to Best Buy and try Kasperky's or something else.
SpaceBadger
Contributor
Message 24 of 61

RE: Same here

Same problem for me too.

I was about to try re-install options, but thanks to everyone who has posted so far, I know this won't work.

Come on McAfee. How about a reply, even if it's just to say that you acknowledge the issue and are working on it.
dowsettg
Former Member
Message 25 of 61

security intermittently turns off

I am having the same problem of intermittently getting message"your system is not fully protected". Clicking on fix resolves for a day or so then happens again. Rebooting pc doesn't help and from these forums re-installing software doesn't either. This started happening late March Early April which seems about the same time as everyone else. Looks like Mcafee problem to me but they seem to be silent about it. WHY?
PS I don't have any other antivirus software running so very worried by these turn off's
VenomByte
Former Member
Message 26 of 61

RE: security intermittently turns off

I too have the same problem. When I open Outlook and click on send/receive, my computer freezes and then finally recovers after 6-8 minutes. It appears that McAfee restarts during this period. I too see the message that my system is not protected until I click the fix box. This just started happening to me within the past 2 weeks.

I checked logs and I do not see any errors or conflicts. I either get e-mail via Comcast web or I just get rid of McAfee and get something else. Something has to give.
dowsettg
Former Member
Message 27 of 61

Come on Mcafee, what is going on?????
VenomByte
Former Member
Message 28 of 61

Alright I ran the tech program what ever it's called. Found 1 problem but doesnt give details. I'll test it later. Just wanted to mention I got Vista 64 bit and the mcafe version is 12.
CeeGee14
Former Member
Message 29 of 61

Had Enough

I turned on my system today ... updates ran ... in the middle of updating, the protection turned off ... couldn't fix ... after updates finished, restarted computer ... protection on. In the middle of reading my email, protection turned off again!!! It told me VirusScan was not installed!? Ran updates again.

This is insane. Tomorrow I'm going to Best Buy and getting another security suite. I have a gift card and I'm using it.

Bye, bye McAfee!

:mad:
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 30 of 61

forget the virus

I heard the same "virus" pronunciation from McAfee live help, person #2. Person #1 gave the standard "reinstall" mantra. I cover the many uninstalls & reinstalls, as well as the virus theory in my "Maybe its the Security Center download?" post, which has received absolutely no replies (I'm also running on a 3 license download pc subscription, not a disk install. Might be interesting to see if disk installs have also been plagued by this problem).

I had a "verify" happen in mid-session the other day. Twice I'ce started my computer today, and again when the weather glitched our electric (forget CBS weather. We were supposed to be past the storm 2 hrs and 46 min ago). Each time I've had to manually start. This is from the event viewer after the last computer restart:

Event ID: 7009
Date: 5/6/2009
Time: 12:25:07 AM
User: N/A
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the McAfee SystemGuards service to connect.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Time: 12:25:07 AM
User: N/A

Description:
The McAfee SystemGuards service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event Type: Information
Event ID: 7035
Time: 12:28:10 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
The McAfee SystemGuards service was successfully sent a start control (This was me, responding to the "your computer is not protected" message, clicking on the "check protection status" message and clicking on "fix").

Event Type: Information
Event ID: 7036
Time: 12:28:11 AM
User: N?A
Description:
The McAfee SystemGuards service entered the running state.

What more can I say? Aside from deeply disappointed. In the many years that I've used NAV (the last 2 with the McAfee firewall part of the Security Center subscription on this computer), I've only had the reverify problem about 3 times. The McAfee firewall has been flawless. But the Security Center working as a whole is puzzling (gave up on Anti-Spam too, and have marked its function as "ignore"), as so many people seem to be having problems, and shouldn't this have been tested before being released? It's sort of the wrong area to release something which sort of works.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community