cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AHH_PHD
Former Member
Message 11 of 61

Same problem

I don't know if I'm glad to see that it wasn't just my machine, but I've been experiencing the same problems with McAfee Security center 9 periodically turning off protection and requiring a "fix." If McAfee doesn't get this straightened out, there might be a mass migration to other systems. I'm hopeful that they figure it out sooner rather than later.
axs
Former Member
Message 12 of 61

RE: Protection turned off after updating

My system guard protection also turns off after updating, and I have to manually go into the security center and click on Fix to rectify this. Tried virtual technician - it said everything was fine. Tried 2 chat sessions - they did not help.

Does anyone have a solution?
Thanks.
starter_234
Former Member
Message 13 of 61

RE: Protection turned off after updating

I have also experienced something similar. Every time I log on to the Security Center screen it says, "system not protected" as a result, I tell it to "Fix it" and it updates. However, under the Computer section, it still says, "Spyware and Potentially Unwanted Program Scanning is disabled". I then manually turned it on. Only to be disappointed when it immediately turns itself back off. I tried this repeatedly with and without an internet connection and it does the same thing. If I try to run as scan of the system, I get the following information:

"-Scan failed to start; result = -2147467259"

I have uninstalled, then reinstalled McAfee Security Center and the result is the same.

I am running a Dell XPS M1530, with Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit), with a duo core intel processor. The computer is two WEEKS old and I'm already having problems.

It all started after I ran an McAfee update and then Internet Explorer began performing rapid popups. I selected the task manager to end task and finally got them to stop. I ran a scan (nothing was found) and then enabled Firewall Lockdown, which stopped all incoming traffic. However, i continued to have the pop-ups. The first pop-ups were of MSN's homepage and after the Firewall was enabled, the pop-ups were of just blank IE screens that said no connection.

I ran the McAfee virtual technician and it said that it couldn't fix everything. I then contacted McAfee via their online chat support and spoke with Klashnara (or something like that) and he gave me a download to fix everything and then ended the chat session. I ran the download and was prompted to restart the computer, which I did. However, nothing worked. All of the previous problems persisted. However, the pop-ups stopped but now McAfee will not scan.

Please Help.
CeeGee14
Former Member
Message 14 of 61

Protection keeps turning off after updating

When I turned on my computer this morning, McAfee update ran and again, protection turned off after it was updated. There is a document under Technical Support FAQs (ID: TS100511) that addresses this problem. I downloaded and ran the McAfee Update Tool this morning. I ran TP update again, and ran Virtual Technician to ensure there were no problems. No problems were detected. The protection did not turn off after it updated. Also, I ran a deep scan.

I won't know if this has been resolved until tomorrow when I log in and update runs. Hopefully, this does resolve it.
AllBack
Former Member
Message 15 of 61

RE: Protection keeps turning off after updating

This problem seemed to crop up with an update to McAfee sometime in late March. I found that if I disable WebRoot Spy Sweeper and Mozy backup, McAfee seemed to work fine (BTW, neither Spy Sweeper nor Mozy were changed).

Today the system was in the middle of doing its weekly full scan of all disks (which is about 2TB and it takes maybe a day). McAfee's automatic update downloaded and installed some data, which I'm assuming to be a new dat file. Anyway, immediately after it popped up a message saying that the downloads were installed, I get the "system not protected" message. Clicking fix didn't solve the problem. And I don't want to stop the background scan as its more than 2/3 of the way done (after about 14 hours), and waste all that time and CPU cycles (system does slow up when that's running).

None of this happened before McAfee's recent updates. I can understand (but not condone) McAfee having interaction problems with other software, but not with its own update procedure.

So I'll turn off the automatic installation of McAfee updates for now and see if I can make this problem go away.
AllBack
Former Member
Message 16 of 61

One of the problems seems to be with scanning the disks. I repeatedly got the "system not protected" message popping up while a scan was in progress. It could not be fixed. Once the scan finished, and the "system not protected" window popped up, I was able to click on it and fix the problem. So at least one aspect has to do with the process of scanning the disks for viruses.

My guess is that there is some sort of interaction problem between one part of McAfee and other processes that also want to interact with the file system. In my case it's also Webroot and Mozy, as well as the McAfee background scan. Stop them all, and McAfee is fine.
MikeTurner
Contributor
Message 17 of 61

I am also getting this problem at times.

I also have Mozy running. I wonder if this is a possible conflict. I also run SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Defender.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Mike.
CeeGee14
Former Member
Message 18 of 61

Protection on

A couple days ago I changed the configuration in McAfee to download updates and notify me when they are ready to be installed. When I turned on my computer today, the updates were downloaded but were not installed until I selected Install. I manually installed the updates, and so far, no problems. The protection did not turn off. I do not have any other security program or spyware running so it may be McAfee does conflict with those other programs.
CeeGee14
Former Member
Message 19 of 61

Protection turned off ... again!

Ran updates today ... protection turned off!!!

I'm going to try the last option and uninstall and reinstall. If this doesn't fix it, I'm cancelling my subscription and going with another security program. :mad:
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 61

RE: Similar problem; no substantive help from McAfee technical chat session

I apologize for what happened....
Next time you get that message could you reboot the computer once and then see if fixes the issue?

I know it sounds silly but I would appreciate if you could try that and let me know
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community