cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fldawg
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Protection Keeps turning off

I have two computers, one with Vista and one with xp and both have McAfee Security Center Virus Protection. Both continue to turn off virus protection randomly. It has not done it as often as it did in March/April, but it did turn off this morning on the xp.

I have been having this problem for awhile and have been told be the McAfee support that nothing is wrong. I found this forum today and see that multiple people have this problem. Has the problem been fixed? How can I tell if I have the latest update?
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: Protection Keeps turning off

Yes it's unfortunate and is a problem they are working on. We were told that yesterday's update 5693 should have fixed it. I can't tell if it has because I haven't had the issue in weeks on either XP Pro, Vista Ultimate or even my Windows 7 (with beta McAfee) for that matter. It seems to happen to some people and not others which is strange. Could be to do with their individual setups.

You can tell what version and DAT you have by double-clicking the taskbar icon to open Security Center (or right-click - "Open SecurityCenter") and then clicking "About" in the lower right-hand corner.

Technical Support Chat can help you more perhaps. Top left of this page or in my signature.
fldawg
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Vista Ultimate

I haven't noticed it on my computer with Vista Ultimate lately. Is McAfee experiencing this problem with XP mainly?

I have had bad luck with McAfee Tech support. When I call about the problem they say call back when it is doing it, but by the time I get to someone the problem has fixed it's self, but not really since it continues to do it.

I guess, I have the latest versions

version 9.3
build 9.3.162
updated 7/9/09

Dat
update yesterday.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

RE: Vista Ultimate

It seems to happen randomly across various platforms so no real pattern. I can only say that they are working on it.

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on the beta of the 2010 products as apparently they have been redesigned and many of these annoyances eliminated.
mededitor
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I'm having the same problem...again. It was happening back in June and then stopped for awhile. It started again this week.

I am running version 9.3, build 9.3.162, DAT version 5695, and my subscription doesn't expire until October 2010. I've kept everything up-to-date on a daily basis (automatically).

The "You are not protected" message pops up intermittently, no rhyme or reason to it. I know that McAfee is aware of the situation and is working on a "fix," but I've been hearing that since at least June.

This is unacceptable for a security suite/AV program and I'd like to hear something directly from McAfee. I appreciate the time and trouble from Ex_Brit, but this is a McAfee problem and a McAfee rep should acknowledge the problem directly. More important, instead of working on an the 2010 beta, how about getting the 2009 version to run correctly! Waiting for the 2010 version is not a fix and if that's what McAfee expects us to do, I won't be around long enough to get the 2010 version.

Either a proper and permanent fix---fast---or I'm outta here (demanding a refund for my unused subscription due to McAfee's negligence) and I'll try Norton, which reportedly is much improved for 2009.

Someone from McAfee? Anyone out there? Anyone at McAfee care that their reputation is taking a big hit for this? :mad:
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Try uninstalling, use the MCPR tool in my signature and reboot and reinstall.
Spookynick
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Same issue... Windows 7

Howdy, just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I am having the same issue with Windows 7 and the McAfee Security Center Beta.
The Firewall and Real-Time scanning are randomly turning off, it is happening every 30 mins in some cases. This is quite annoying. I hope there is a solution for this soon.

Thanks

P.S I Was running the same software on the Windows 7 7100 beta and i had no issues like this at all.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

RE: Same issue... Windows 7

Beta products aren't supported here. McAfee Beta Forums are here: http://forums.mcafee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

You should also be filing a bug report at the main beta site.

As this topic hasn't seen any posting in 2 months am locking it.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community