cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gr11zzly
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Product suggestions/peeves

Why can't the product present itself with an interface simlar to other windows products.

For instance wher do I find the HELP/ABOUT that would give me the list of installed products and their version numbers?

Most users have little reason to visit the Anivirus Plus home screen ( not sure what else to call it) unless there is a problem and at that stage you really don't want to have to lear a new paradigm.

Why is it so hard to find from this home page the reports on wher and when previous nasties were found? OK so I have found it now but I'm already frustrated that I couldn't drill down to something useful from the home page.

Went to navigation and then security reports---useless---tells me I had trojans abut not where and when--tried history and logs and still nothing.

Really not good enough IMHO.  The developers need to put themselves in the shoes of the casual user since most of us hope to be in that category, and make the interface friendly and useful for that customer.  Its not that way now.  Its quite possible that all the feratures are there just not easy to find for the user who may visit once a year.

I forgot to mention another feature I would like to see.

Can  we explicitly exclude cetain file types?  eg .VOB.  I know this may be  dangerous long term but it will make the product useable for me in the  short term.  If there is a problem with a specific file type then at  least the remaining functionality of the product can be retained until a  fix is found.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit to merge posts on 18/09/10 9:03:08 EDT AM
2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Product suggestions/peeves

Gr11zzly wrote:

Why can't the product present itself with an interface simlar to other windows products.

For instance wher do I find the HELP/ABOUT that would give me the list of installed products and their version numbers?

Most users have little reason to visit the Anivirus Plus home screen ( not sure what else to call it) unless there is a problem and at that stage you really don't want to have to lear a new paradigm.

Why is it so hard to find from this home page the reports on wher and when previous nasties were found? OK so I have found it now but I'm already frustrated that I couldn't drill down to something useful from the home page.

Went to navigation and then security reports---useless---tells me I had trojans abut not where and when--tried history and logs and still nothing.

Really not good enough IMHO.  The developers need to put themselves in the shoes of the casual user since most of us hope to be in that category, and make the interface friendly and useful for that customer.  Its not that way now.  Its quite possible that all the feratures are there just not easy to find for the user who may visit once a year.

Can  we explicitly exclude cetain file types?  eg .VOB.  I know this may be  dangerous long term but it will make the product useable for me in the  short term.  If there is a problem with a specific file type then at  least the remaining functionality of the product can be retained until a  fix is found.

The design is decided by the developers, we have little to do with that side unfortunately but they do try to make things as simple as possible.   The 2010 interface is simpler than the 2009 one.  In my opinion at least.

To see the 'About" click Navigation at top right

Then click "About" over at the left.

There are many other items there, among them Quarantined and Trusted items where one can possibly find detections etc.

The Help link at top right will ask you if you want Help or Support, clicking Help brings up a comprehensive Help section as a web page.

The ability to exclude file types, or files/folders altogether has been suggested for years by us Moderators as it used to be a feature with VirusScan 7 and still is with the Enterprise (Business) product and have been told that it is being considered, so there is hope.

They are also looking into ways of speeding up scans as currently they take too long.

The best way to effect changes is to participate in the Beta testing program.  See: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

We are expecting the 2011 products up there in November sometime.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/09/10 9:14:31 EDT AM
Vister1
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Product suggestions/peeves

Gr11zzly wrote:

I have the same issue with a few files as well.  If they are labeled artemis!#####(and maybe Generic not sure) or something like that then you can kill the auto detection on them by going to: Navigation, Real-time Scanning and then under extended protection, you uncheck the box for Scan for viruses by identifying threat patterns.

Files labeled with that artemis prefix after detection are found by the unknown threat hunting part. Basically, the virus scanner stops looking for new unknown viruses. From browsing this place I've found there is no way to make the damn thing ignore just these files while still searching for new unknown viruses. Really is annoying. I should also note that a normal scan manually or automatically run will still pick up on the files.  It just doesn't hunt them down outside of scans anymore and will let you run them.

Message was edited by: Vister1 on 9/20/10 11:12:30 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community