cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alan68
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Problems with Total Prot. 2009, incl Security Center 9.3

I am using a Celeron 2.4GHZ with 256MB ram, running Windows XP Home Ed SP 3.
I have a variety of problems, some of which I saw elsewhere on the forum but not all together. To begin with, the installation process does not seem to complete properly. I bought Total Protection online and downloaded it. I previously used the free edition of AVG, which I had already uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs. So I'm downloading Total Protection and it hangs at Backup & restore. I left it alone all night just to make sure it was really stuck, and next morning, sure enough, it was still installing Backup & Restore and the progress bar had not budged. I forced the process closed using Windows Task Manager, then rebooted. Surprisingly, the program then seemed to have been installed correctly. Now here's the problem, and it seems a common one: After a few minutes, Security Center tells me I am not fully protected, something about verifying my subscription. I click the link to verify my subscription, and a message tells me my subscription is verified. But there is no status change in Security Center, and clicking Fix tells me a response is required. I guess my system is protected because I'm not seeing any red warning shield icon from the Windows Security center. It would be nice to know for sure though.
I have tried to uninstall & reinstall - no difference.
I have used both MCPR.EXE and MCPRFIX.exe - no change.
I have tried the PreInstall program - didn't help.
The Virtual Technician didn't find any problems.

I paid $50 for this program because I was having trouble with AVG free, which of course offers no reliable support. I had been told McAfee was the best, but I am having a somewhat different experience.:confused:

Is there anything I haven't tried yet?
Tags (1)
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

RE: Problems with Total Prot. 2009, incl Security Center 9.3

Alan, The only thing that sticks out immediately to me is your RAM, it is right on the minimum requirements for these applications. If there is any way to increase your machine's memory I would do it as it is the easiest and fastest method for improving overall performance.

The Virtual Technician will check if everything is installed correctly. Link in my signature.

Technical Support is available 24/7 via free online Chat (or email, but Chat is better), linked at top left of this page or in my signature.

As a new customer you are entitled to free telephone technical support for the first 30 days. See this link for information: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=226996

That would probably be your best route right now. Might as well take advantage of the 30 days free as phone support is chargeable after that period ends.

If you ran the Virtual Technician prior to calling them give them the session ID #.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community