cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Farawayj
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Problem

Hello, I am having the exact same problem. The only difference is that I have run a registry cleaner from TuneUp utilities. Its only been about 2 weeks since I did a complete fresh install and I never use anything other than windows defender and McAfee. I have tried reinstalling McAfee and still receive the same error and Virtual technician says there is nothing wrong.

Any help you can give me would be tremendously apprieciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jason

Tags (1)
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problem

You posted to a very old thread for an application that is about to become obsolete so I moved your thread provisionally to Security Center 9 but as your MVT log only shows anti-spam installed I'm not sure what you are talking about exactly.

It also says that your Vista has no service pack....it should have Service Pack 2.  Help with that HERE.

Can you elaborate what issues you are having and clarify what products you have installed plus your operating system/service pack detsils please?

As a footnote, the use of registry cleaners/boosters of any kind is highly risky and usually ends up causing more harm than good as they have a nasty habit of removing vital files, so I would recommend that you stop using them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/7/09 8:17 AM
Farawayj
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Well thank you for pointing out that I didn't have any service packs installed as I just assume that they would be among the 9 gazillion updates I had to download. I'm not sure why it says I only have anti spam installed because I have Security center installed. I downloaded and installed service packs 1 and 2 then updated security center and it still says " scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover." and in the details it says " error starting on demand scanner."

I figured that if it was the registry defrag that caused the problem a reinstall would fix it.

again thank you for your time.

Jason

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

It's difficult to pinpoint what exactly is wrong here.   There are a few things that you can try.

a)  Make sure that your system clock is accurate both time and timezone-wise

b)  Go to Internet Explorer (which should be version 😎 Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset

Close and reopen IE and then go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable all the add-ons.

c) Try the following:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
    In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

If that fails to rectify the situation then I suggest contacting Technical Support Chat which is available through the shortcut listed under "Useful Links" at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community