cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harticat
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Problem with Win. 7 and re-install

I had some problems with the security center and the software suggested re-installing Mcafee. So I followed the instructions and now I keep getting a message stating that I need to restart the computer before I can continue. I have restarted the computer numberous times and I still get the same message. What am I missing? Thanks all for the help.

4 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem with Win. 7 and re-install

Hello harticat,

Could you please confirm, when do you get the message to restart the computer , Is it while opening security center ?
Is your windows 7 opearating system  of 32 bit (or) 64 bit ?
Do you have any other security software installed while you purchased the computer ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

harticat
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

I am currently using the Starter Windows 7 for netbooks. The netbook had Norton, but I did the complete unistall with that. Quick history, I was having problems with Security Center last night. I ran the fix program and it suggested reinstalling Security Center. So I followed the instructions and downloaded the install again. The computer went through the process of uninstalling the previous Security Center, then when it came time to reinstall the program again, it keeps bringing up a message saying that the computer needs to be restarted to continue the install. I have restarted the computer numerous times, but the message still pops up.

Any suggestions on how to get Mcafee reinstalled? Or any idea on what is causing this?

Thank you for your help.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Hi harticat,

Please click start – all programs – Startup
Right click on $McReboot and click on delete.
Restart the computer once and resume with the installation , you should be ok

If you still come across the error , take a screen shot and post me with that , we shall take care of it.

Regards,
Dinesh K

harticat
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

I did as you suggested, but there is no file in the startup file, in fact, there is nothing at all in that file. I am still getting the same message about needing to restart the computer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community