cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dingdong
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Not sure if Total Protection 2009 updating itself? Please help.

Dear all,

I have not seen the animated update icon in my taskbar since a few weeks. When I tried to manually update today, it did not appear. Things were fine earlier. The icon used to appear when I switch on my computer in the morning.

I do see the update check date in the security centre to be today’s date. But I am not sure if it is actually updating.

Is there any way to manually check whether it had actually downloaded the updated files? My system will become vulnerable to security threats if it do not update. Can somebody please let me know?

Is JRE required?

I thank you very much in advance.

I have Total Protection 2009.

Sorry for double posting, but I needed the info urgently.

Regards,

DD
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: Not sure if Total Protection 2009 updating itself? Please help.

Java isn't required, however make sure that your Java engine is the latest and uninstall any older ones as they are a security risk.

McAfee relies on Internet Explorer, whether or not you use it, so go to IE Tools/Internet Options

If IE6 set all the zones under the Security tab to default click Apply, go to the Advanced tab and set to default, click Apply, go the Content tab and make sure that Content Advisor is OFF.

If IE7 or 8 go to Advanced tab and click Reset then Apply and OK. Close and reopen IE7/8 and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable all the add-ons.

Try a manual update to see if the arrow icon appears.

My DAT is 5623 which came in when I started up this morning. Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center and then click About at the lower right-hand corner and see what yours is.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Forgot to add that I assume you have updates turned on?

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left) if not already done
Click Configure (left)
With Security Center highlighted at top left
Click Advanced (right)
Click Update Options (left)
dingdong
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Update is working.

DAT version is: 5624. Updated today.

May be McAfee is doing the updates when the computers are idle. In this case, I would consider myself stupid to ask this question. I should have realized this.

Thanks very much for your support.

Regards,

DD
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Glad to help.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community