Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocksan
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

No Updates for the Last 2 Days

Hello all -

So...I do manual updates every day for my McAfee SecurityCenter and there is typically an update every day.  The last update that I got was on Saturday, July 26.  Yesterday and today when I've checked for updates, it came back that my program is up to date.  I can tell the program is connecting to McAfee when it checks for updates because the cursor spins and flashes a few times and I've always seen it do that.  I haven't made any changes to this computer. 

Can this really be true?  Two days with no updates?  Am I being overly concerned about this?  Should I just go have some ice cream and try to update again tomorrow?

According to the About tab, I have:

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version:  12.8

Build:  12.8.958

Affld:  105-592

Language:  en-us

Last update:  5/24/2014

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware

Version:  16.8

Build:  16.8.819

Last Update:  7/28/2014

Engine version:  1964.0

Engine creation date:  7/28/2014

I've got the information for the rest of the items, so if they are needed, please let me know and I will post them.  I don't understand why it has 7/28/2014 for last update and engine creation dates for the anti-virus and anti-spyware because nothing was updated.

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: No Updates for the Last 2 Days

Hi rocksan,

Judging by your latest Engine Version ( 1964.0 )...Actually I would go get me some of my favourite ice-cream   Just kidding...Been a long day. In other words, you are indeed current with your Anti-Virus Engine Version.

If I may, ask why you choose to (Manually) update daily? Also, what Operating system do you have?

I can see by your Affld: 105-592 that you must be subscribed through either your ISP/Manufacturer. The 13.6.xxx Version is released and being throttled as we correspond. Quite often the case is, often lag behind in Version changes.

The reason I asked what OS you have is that if it is Windows XP, McAfee Version/Build will go no higher than the 12.8.xxx Version. Yet is still supported by McAfee until the EOL Expiry date. Again, please be assured that you have the most current Engine Version as I do.

Is there a reason, you don,t set it to Automatic Update? Or it could be that you indeed have Automatic Update selected,and by the time you (Manually) checked for updates, it could have already done so. Anyhow, your engine Version is current .

Wishing you all the very Best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 7/28/14 11:49:15 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
rocksan
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Thanks, Cliff.  This computer is Windows 7.  I have no idea what those numbers mean, but the original complimentary McAfee subscription came with the computer (bought it from Dell).  I renewed it when it was going to expire.

I never really cared for auto updates with software.  In case there's any kind of problem with an update (like the computer blowing up), I want to be there when it updates (so I can wave my fist at it). Seriously though, in the past I had a anti-malware program that updated to a new version and it got totally screwed up.  I don't know why, but the program wouldn't run and kept giving error messages when I tried to open it. I forgot how I fixed it (some nightmares are best left forgotten), but I think I had to do a complete uninstall, go to the manufacturer's site and enter my license key so I could download a fresh version from them.

Now the only thing left to do is decide what flavor of ice cream...

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Lol...Enjoy your Ice Cream.

Windows 7 Sp1 I assume. You will eventually receive the New Version.

Seems like you have everything under control.

Again,

All the very best,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

If you feel that your concerns have been addressed. Could you please mark appropiately, so as we can consider this thread answered?

Thanks,

Edited; for typos

on 7/29/14 12:18:43 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
gelliot
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Rocksan, it's not just you.  My last update was Friday morning, and I thought I was having problems.  I don't have the same system you have.  And I have mine set to notify me it wants to do an update, and  I have to check a box to authorize it.  Not only was I not getting the notification, but when I tried several times to do a manual update, it just kept telling me everything was up to date.  However, like magic, McAfee notification popped up this afternoon, and everything updated for me. So, I don't think it's your system.  Something in McAfee was the reason.  Hope yours is working fine, now.

Best,

Gelliot

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Hi Gelliot,

It is not abnormal on occasion, for an update to not occur daily for various reasons. I have mine set to (Automatic) with the idler setting off. I have experienced especially around a Holiday, that my Anti-Spam Version not update for 2-3 Days, however my Content incrementally updated.

Thank you for your input, and glad that all is okay.

All the Best,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
rocksan
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Got an update this afternoon, so all is well.  Thank you and I'll mark this as answered.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Glad that all is okay

All the best,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community