cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r43527
Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Hardware Clarification

Just to clarify the hardware configuration that the problem is caused by. ATI makes an external tuner that you can insert a cable card into. Check out the product here: http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonderdigital/index.html. This tuner is only available when purchasing certain new computers, such as the Dell XPS420. The original discussion about this issue took place on the Dell user forum at: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19264521/19450393.aspx#19450393.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 25

RE: Hardware Clarification

Thanks for the clarification.

From that Dell Forums thread you posted I see that 27Dean posted

I did the online chat with McAfee. He had change a few settings in McAfee. About three weeks now and still working.

An earlier poster stated that a System Restore temporarily worked, it will mess your McAfee up doing that and an update will be required to sort it out which will no doubt restore the problem.
Other posters recommend disabling the firewall, an extremely dangerous move & not recommended.
I would approach Technical Support as 27dean did.
LilChris
Former Member
Message 13 of 25

Solution

For those searching for a solution to this problem

Here is the solution:

• open mcafee and click on the advanced menu
  • go to configure > internet & network and click on the advanced option for firewall protection
  • on the left hand menu, click 'networks'
  • add a new network, type the IP address of your device, ensure the IP address is checked to 'trusted', and then click ok

• for the IP address.....go to start, network, and then 'properties' of your tuner device to get the device's IP address

• restart your computer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 25

RE: Solution

That's interesting because I'm now getting this same problem in my Windows 7 RC. Can you clarify that last line please, which Startup folder is this?
LilChris
Former Member
Message 15 of 25

Sorry, just go to start... I edited the last post to reflect.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 25

Thanks. The only thing that appears there is Media Player. It's Media Center that's the problem, at least in my setup and only in Windows 7 RC (similar interface to Vista).
LilChris
Former Member
Message 17 of 25

I'm confused by your last post... I'm not following, please clarify
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 25

I'm saying in Windows Network Center there is no mention of any tuner device or Windows Media Center. So I can't check the IP for same. I would imagine it is my home IP (same as everyone) 127.0.0.1.
I guess for internal tuners it's different.

We have two threads going here, getting confusing.:)

Anyone else reading this please also see: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=224313
LilChris
Former Member
Message 19 of 25

Is it listed in device manager? If it's internal it's probably in there...
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 25

Yes but I don't see any IP address under details. It's suddenly started working again. It's a Windows 7 thing I think...LOL.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community