cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanitystream
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

New update kills my internet connection?!

Help!

I just got the update (running Vista). Now the firewall is blocking all internet access in either Firefox or Explorer.

But when I disable the firewall, it works. When I enable it, it blocks access even though these programs are given full permission. It doesn't matter what level of firewall protection I select -- Full, Outgoing only, Monitored, or Stealth. They all block internet connectivity.

This never happened until I got the update. What the frack is going on?!!

7 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: New update kills my internet connection?!

Try running the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MVT scans your computer and attempts to fix anything McAfee related. It will generate a session id number which you should post here on the forum. IF MVT cannot repair something it will suggest you to contact Technical Support Chat. They can remote connect into your computer provided you give them permission to do so and can diagnose what is happening. They often will run a tool or send a tool to you with instructions on how to resolve the issue. Let us know how this works for you.

sanitystream
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

I ran the virtual technician, it found some problems (listed below), fixed them all, but it didn't fix the bigger problem. The firewall still blocks all internet access no matter what security level I choose.

Worse, I just noticed my PC is running near 100% CPU at all times now. This only started after the update.

Doesn't McAfee test  this kind of thing?!? I'm a running a plain vanilla Dell laptop w/ Vista.

Expected Registry Value not Present                                
Expected : 1
Existing : 0
Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\Email  Scanner\Internet bScanIncoming
Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\Email  Scanner\Internet ApplyNVP
Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access  Scanner\McShield\Configuration ScanCookies
Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access  Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Default ApplyNVP
Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access  Scanner\McShield\Configuration\High ApplyNVP
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for posting your screenshot. Can you try to contact the Chat as suggested in my initial post?

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

Three  things

1 reset IE to defaults.

2.What operating system and ram

3.what program is using the CPU and try chat though they will suggest uninstall reinstall path....

BTW explorer best not to be given access to netas some viruses try to use it to get on the  net. Remember reading that somewhere.

detu
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

The update killed my wireless connection. I can still go online with an ethernet line to my router. I'm running Windows 7

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

detu,

This is an old thread from May 2010....please start a new thread and post some specific information as to when your issue began. You have mentioned you are running Windows 7

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Hi detu,

Please create a new discussion and point me there so that I can assist you with this..! BTW could you please post the version details of McAfee version installed currently..!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community